HSV has confirmed that Chevrolet’s most powerful production Camaro – the ZL1 – would be added to its 2019 model line-up and on sale in showrooms across Australia from April priced at $159,990 plus on-road costs.
Joining the Camaro 2SS, the right-hand drive ZL1 ups the ante with a 6.2-litre LT4 superchaged V8 which in US-spec develops an eye-watering 485kW of power and 868Nm of torque.
While power and torque figures of the HSV-converted Camaro are still subject to local certification, the company is expecting the right-hook ZL1 to produce similar outputs to its US counterpart, around the 480kW/860Nm mark.
Gear changes on the ZL1 are executed either through a 6-speed manual or a 10-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters. The 6-speed manual transmission features automatic rev matching which anticipates down-shifts with throttle blips for smoother shifting. The Line-Lock feature in the automatic model lets you lock the front wheels to enable the rear wheels to spin (and heat), warming the tyres for maximum grip. HSV says this feature is intended for use during closed-course track events only.
The ZL1 boasts a more aggressive body kit with massive upper and lower grille openings for maximum cooling while aerodynamic enhancements like the unique bonnet with carbon-fibre composite air extractor and rear spoiler help reduce lift and increase downforce to keep the ZL1 glued to the tarmac.
The aggressive front splitter and rocker mouldings complete the aero package. The muscle car rolls on 20-inch, 10 split-spoke forged alloy wheels in Dark Graphite.
The ZL1’s track-focused interior sports heated, ventilated and power adjustable leather bucket seats, complimented by a flat-bottom steering wheel.
Entertainment in the ZL1 is delivered by Chevrolet’s next generation Infotainment 3 system which includes an 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Dual zone automatic climate control, a 9-speaker Bose premium audio and 24 colour Interior Spectrum Lighting enhance interior ambience.
2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 specification
- 6.2L LT4 supercharged V8 with Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing
- 6-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching and Launch Control functionality or a 10-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission with Custom Launch Control, Line-Lock and Lift-Foot Gear Hold technology
- Magnetic Ride Control dampers
- Electronically controlled Limited Slip Differential
- Brembo performance brakes with 6-piston monobloc front calipers and 390mm two-piece front rotors
- Bi-modal performance exhaust system
- 20” 10 split-spoke forged alloy wheels
- Recaro performance seats
- Sueded flat-bottom sports profile steering wheel and gear shifter
- Sport alloy pedals
Recommended Retail Pricing
- MY19 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (6-speed manual transmission): $159,990
- 10-speed automatic transmission: $2,200
- Metallic Paint (Crush/Garnet Red Tintcoat): $850