Hyundai has introduced the seventh-generation Sonata to the midsize sedan segment in Australia. Borrowing much of its style, sophistication and technology from the brand’s Genesis flagship model, the all-new Hyundai Sonata the best-built, most technologically-advanced and driveable Sonata yet.
Like Genesis, a product of Hyundai’s Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design philosophy, the all-new Sonata’s flowing and stylish new lines contribute to its sports-car-like 0.27Cd aerodynamics.
Inside, the all-new Sonata boasts improved cabin and boot space over the previous model, together with benchmark new equipment levels and advanced intuitive features.
Available in three different variants – Active, Elite and Premium – the 2015 Sonata range kicks off with the $29,990 Active model, powered by a 138kW 2.4-litre naturally aspirated engine. The mid range Elite model comes in at $36,990 and is equipped with a 180kW 2.0-litre turbo Theta II four-cylinder petrol GDi engine. Topping the range is the fully loaded Premium model motivated by the same 2.0-litre turbo four as the Elite model.
Both engines are matched to Hyundai’s six-speed SHIFTRONIC automatic with lock-up torque converter and sequential manual shift mode.
As part of Hyundai Australia’s exhaustive localisation program, the new Sonata’s dynamics have been optimised for Australian driving conditions and Australian drivers by Hyundai’s local suspension development team.
New front and heavily revised multi-link rear suspension – both augmented by locally re-specified damper, spring and sway bar combinations — integrate with dual-mode 32-bit motor driven power steering to deliver improved stability and driveability.
The all-new Sonata is some 41 percent stiffer than the previous model, thanks to a lighter body structure which uses advanced high-strength steel for more than 50 percent of total platform construction.
Passive and active safety features include six airbags and Hyundai’s comprehensive Vehicle Stability Management System across the three-tier range.
Read ForceGT’s 2015 Hyundai Sonata Review here.
2015 Hyundai Sonata specification
- 2.4-litre GDi engine – 138kW & 241Nm
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
- Automatic dusk sensing headlamps
- LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
- Rear view camera
- Rear parking assist system (4 sensors)
- 17” alloy wheels with 215/55R17 tyres
- Keyless entry with burglar alarm
- 4.3” touchscreen audio system with CD player, MP3 capability & 6 speakers
- AUX / USB audio input with digital iPod® compatibility
- Metallic painted centre fascia panels, textured dashboard / door inserts, and interior door handles
- Cloth interior
- LED side repeater integrated into side mirrors
- LED front positioning lamps
- Ambient lighting for front centre console
- 60:40 split folding rear seats
- Manual air conditioning with rear centre console cooling ducts
SONATA ELITE (in addition to Active equipment)
- 2.0-litre Turbo GDi engine – 180kW & 350Nm (+42kW & 109Nm)
- Electric folding external mirrors
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (12 way incl. lumbar)
- 8” touchscreen satellite navigation with 3 yrs. HERE MapCare™
- Proximity smart key with push button start
- Smart boot lid (hands-free boot opening)
- Leather appointed* seats
- Alloy look interior door handles & chrome exterior door handles
- Carbon fibre effect dashboard/door inserts
- Stainless steel door scuff plates
- LED tail lamps with bulb turn signal & reverse lights
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning
SONATA PREMIUM (in addition to Active and Elite equipment)
- 18” alloy wheels with 235/45R18 tyres
- Front parking assist system (4 sensors)
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) Bi-Xenon headlamps with washer system, auto-levelling, and static bending lamps
- Automatic windscreen defog function
- Electro-chromatic auto dimming interior mirror (ECM)
- Electrically adjusted front passenger’s seat (8 way)
- Electronic Park-Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold function
- Heated external mirrors
- Heated & air ventilated front seats
- Integrated Memory System (IMS) on driver’s seat & ext. mirrors
- One-touch window up/down function on front windows
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Rain sensing wipers
- Rear door curtains (sunblinds)
- 4.2” TFT LCD colour display in Supervision cluster