The all-new third-generation Kia Cerato sedan is now released in Australia (read our review here). It will be followed by a five-door hatchback later in the year.
Sporting a sleeker profile and dynamic styling, the all-new Cerato sedan is bigger in all dimensions, except in height. It is 30mm longer (4560mm), 25mm lower (1435mm) and 5mm wider (1780mm). The wheelbase has been extended by 50mm to 2700mm, the same as Kia’s Sorento SUV.
The new Cerato’s front and rear overhangs have also been reduced, by 15mm and 5mm respectively, giving the new car a sporty appearance. Despite the reduced rear overhang, the boot capacity is increased by 6 litres to 421 litres.
The company’s engineers have worked hard on the car’s aerodynamics, cutting its drag from Cd 0.29 to 0.27, and lowered the car’s aerodynamic lift from Cl 0.16 to 0.11.
Like the rest of Kia’s range, the new Cerato will be offered in three trim levels – S, Si and SLi. All models feature soft-touch materials to the upper front door trims, dashboard, door armrest, door centre trim panels and the centre console.
A dot-matrix LCD cluster (standard on the S and Si) offers a broad range of information through its centre panel display, while the range topping SLi is equipped with a 4.2-inch TFT colour LCD cluster.
The entry-level S model is equipped with projector headlamps and escort lighting, car alarm system, cruise control, front corner and rear parking sensors, trip computer, USB/iPod compatible radio/CD player with six speakers and Bluetooth.
Si models add 16-inch alloy wheels, chrome exterior highlights (belt-line, exterior door handle and exhaust pipe), electric folding exterior mirrors, auto headlights, rear seat air vents, a 4.3-inch touch-screen audio system, push-button start and smart key and a rear view camera.
Stepping up to the SLi buys 17-inch alloy wheels, leather trim seats with front heated seats and an 8-way powered plus lumbar support and ventilated driver’s seat, LED daytime running lights and HID headlights, LED rear lights, paddle shifters on automatic models, dual-zone climate control, powered glass sunroof and a cooling glove box.
Two petrol engines are on offer in Australia – a 110kW/178Nm 1.8-litre Nu MPI engine and a 129kW/209Nm 2.0-litre Nu GDI engine. Both are mated to a standard 6-speed manual transmission, with a 6-speed auto as an option.
The 1.8-litre powerplant is found under the bonnet of the Cerato S. It does 0-100km/h in 10.1 seconds (11.6 seconds in automatic) and has a top speed of 200km/h. Fuel consumption is rated at 6.6L/100km and 7.1L/100km for automatic models. Thanks to a 50-litre fuel tank, owners should enjoy a typical range of 650km between fill-ups.
The Cerato Si and SLi are powered by the 2.0-litre Nu GDI engine. It accelerates from 0-100km/h in 8.5 seconds or 9.3 seconds for the automatic, and achieves a top speed of 210km/h. Fuel consumption for both manual and auto is 7.4L/100km.
As with all Australian Kia’s, the all-new Cerato benefits from local ride and handling tuning. While the specification of the car’s fully independent front suspension – by MacPherson struts – and coupled torsion beam rear suspension is unchanged, they have been fine-tuned to improve agility, enhance shock absorbance and deliver greater refinement.
The Cerato’s electric power steering is equipped with Kia’s FlexSteer system that provides three different settings (or weights) for the steering – Normal, Sport and Comfort.
Kia expects the new Cerato to achieve a maximum 5-star ANCAP safety rating. Its safety armour includes ESC, hill-start assist control, VSM (vehicle stability management) and half a dozen airbags.
Kia Cerato S
- 1.8L Nu MPI engine (110kW / 178Nm)
- 6 speed M/T or A/T
- 16” steel wheels (205/55 R16) with full-size spare
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) with TCS/ABS/EBD/BA
- VSM (Vehicle Stability Management) with HAC
- ESS (Emergency Stop Signal)
- Seatbelt reminders on all positions
- MDPS with FlexSteerTM (3 settings: Comfort/Normal/Sport)
- Front corner & rear parking sensors
- Front fog lamps
- 6 SRS airbags (front / front side / curtain)
- Keyless entry with folding key set
- Projection headlamps with escort function
- Cloth seats
- 6-way driver’s seat adjustment (height adjust – pumping device)
- Front centre console armrest (with storage box & bin) & front twin cup holders
- Split fold rear seats (60:40)
- Rear centre armrest with twin cup holders
- Chrome family-look grille
- Body coloured bumpers, door handles & outside door mirrors
- Electric outside door mirrors (heated) with side indicators
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Dot-matrix type LCD instrument cluster with multi-function trip computer
- Power windows (front & rear) with driver’s auto down
- Floor console storage with sliding cover
- MP3 compatible CD player with AM/FM tuner
- 6 speakers (front door, rear door & front tweeters)
- AUX/USB input with iPod® compatibility (on selected iPod® models)
- Bluetooth® functionality (phone/media stream)
- Steering wheel mounted audio/Bluetooth® controls
- Glass antenna
- Manual air-conditioning
Kia Cerato Si (S trim +)
- 2.0L GDI engine
- 16” alloy wheels (205/55 R16) with full-size alloy spare
- Rear view camera with in-audio screen display & parking guidelines
- Dusk-sensing automatic headlamps
- Smart key with push button start & welcome lights (puddle/pocket)
- Electric folding outside door mirrors with automatic folding function
- Front centre console armrest sliding function
- Chrome accented highlights (waist-line & door handles)
- Chrome tip rear muffler
- UV cut glass (windscreen)
- Aero-blade type front wipers
- Premium steering wheel & shift knob
- Artificial leather wrapped instrument cluster
- Front power windows auto up & down with safety function
- Premium interior trim
(carbon-fibre look fascia / chrome look interior door handles / soft-touch door trim)
- Sunvisor illumination
- Seat back pocket (passenger side)
- 4.3” full touch colour LCD audio screen
- Rear air vent
Kia Cerato SLi (Si trim +)
- 17” alloy wheels (215/45 R17) with full-size alloy spare
- Electrochromic rear view mirror (auto dimming)
- LED daytime running lights (DRL)
- HID type front headlamps
- LED rear combination lamps
- Leather trim seats
- 8-way power driver’s seat plus lumbar support
- IMS driver’s seat with 2 seating position memory & easy access function
- Powered sunroof (slide & tilt)
- Paddle shifters (A/T only)
- Colour TFT Supervision instrument cluster
- Alloy sports pedals
- Cooling glovebox
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning
- Clean Air module
- Auto defog system
- Ventilated driver’s seat
- Front seat warmers
+ Optional Satellite Navigation (from April production)
- 7” full touch colour LCD screen
- Satellite Navigation multimedia system with traffic information (SUNATM)
- DVD Player (video playback only functional while stationary)
- Shark fin type GPS antenna
|Model||Engine||Transmission||Price (Excl. on-roads)|
|Cerato S||1.8-litre petrol (110kW)||6-speed manual||$19,990|
|Cerato Si||2.0-litre petrol (129kW)||6-speed manual||$23,990|
|Cerato SLi||6-speed manual||$27,990|
|Cerato SLi (with Nav)||6-speed manual||$28,990|