Holden has taken the wraps off its striking new performance sedan, the VF Commodore SS V. The car will also form the basis for the Chevrolet SS Sports Sedan in the US, which will debut in this weekend.
The new Commodore SS V looks decidedly more mature than the outgoing VE model, especially in at the back. The massive rear spoiler that has been synonymous with the old SS has been replaced with a more subtle and classy lip spoiler. There is also a sportier rear bumper with integrated diffusers flanked by double tailpipes on each side.
However, it hasn’t lost any of the muscular stance that is characteristic of the SS V. Riding on new twin five-spoke 20-inch wheels that are hand-machined in billet aluminium, and custom finished in gloss black, the new VF SS V is certainly eye-catching.
“The surfacing of the new VF is inherently more flamboyant and contemporary. And the fresh front and rear end sports graphics on the SS V in particular are really vibrant and distinctive.
“Factor in all the things we know and love about the Commodore – its great stance, silhouette and proportion – and we had a great canvas to work with.
“The SS V show car isn’t too far removed from the final design intent – we’ve just amped it up a little,” said Holden’s Design Manager, Exterior, Peter Hughes.
Inside, the well-appointed cabin has a dark, subtle and sophisticated tone. There is a motorsport-inspired steering wheel matched with a pair of bolstered sports-profile seats that are wrapped in soft, perforated jet-black leather and suede with contrasting stitching.
SS V-Series show car exterior feature highlights:
- Custom Kandy ‘Fantale’metallic paint finish
- Twin five-spoke 20-inch wheels, hand-machined in billet aluminium, custom finished in gloss black
- Front Brembo brake calipers finished in gloss silver
- Wide, dominant front fascia features traditional sports grille and a prominent lower air intake, both laced in custom gunmetal chrome
- Sculpted, jewelled halogen projector headlamps with black bezels curve into prominent front fenders, flared, aero-modified wheel arches
- Muscular lower fascia incorporates LED daylight running lamps and black bezel fog lamps, custom gunmetal chrome accents, outboard extensions integrated into sharp sports rockers
- Prominent VF aluminium hood with centre crease emphasises performance potential; two raking spears sweep from the A-pillars
- Low, wide VF rear sports fascia – streamlined graphics with integrated tail lamps, aluminium decklid, body-colour bib spoiler, custom gloss black finish sports valance incorporating licence plate and quad V8 exhausts
- In profile, vertical fender vents and window surrounds are finished in custom gunmetal chrome
SS V-Series show car interior feature highlights:
- All-new instrument panel with integrated centre stack combines high-resolution Holden MyLink infotainment system with 8-inch touch screen, climate and other controls
- Ergonomically advanced design relocates controls to more convenient positions, introduces console-mounted electric park brake control
- Cowled, angled instrument dials flank a LCD Driver Information Display screen with colour graphics
- All-new seat structures combine sports back and high-bolstered side support
- High-quality, layered finishes in smooth soft-feel leather and suede with perforated leather inserts are accented by contrast twin-needle and deck stitching
- Sports profile leather wrap steering wheel design is motorsport-inspired
- Ice blue ambient lighting illuminates lower centre console and door pull recesses
- Extra large dual cupholders can accommodate a wide range of container sizes
The new SS V is expected to carry over its 6.0-litre V8, but with better fuel efficiency.
The Holden VF Commodore SS V will hit showrooms in the middle of the year, with pricing to be announced closer to launch.