Fancy more power for your Mazda MX-5? England-based Mazda tuning specialist BBR has put together a substantial power upgrade package for the iconic roadster and gone the path of forced induction.
The new ‘Stage 1’ turbocharger upgrade package for the 2.0-litre MX-5 lifts power output from the standard 118kW to a potent 184kW at 7,150 rpm, accompanied with an impressive 319Nm of torque at just 3,250 rpm, a hike of 219Nm over the factory output.
BBR says the kit has been “cleverly” designed to install without intrusive mechanical alterations onto the four-cylinder SKYACTIV-G engine. It’s also claimed that the BBR Stage 1 upgrade, which uses a twin-scroll turbocharger, is optimised to enhance every day driveability as well as outright power. Post conversion over 271Nm of torque is available between 2,750 rpm and 6,500 rpm, highlighting the upgrade’s user-friendly nature, irrespective of road or track conditions.
The added punch results in a power to weight ratio of 173kW/tonne which allows the lightweight sports car to sprint from 0-60mph (0-96km/h) in just 5.0 seconds flat, over 2 seconds quicker than the standard car’s time of 7.3 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 250km/h.
Available now, the Mazda MX-5 ND Stage 1 turbo package is priced at £4995.00 including ‘drive in, drive out’ installation at BBR’s Brackley premises in the UK by its qualified technicians and dyno power graph.
BBR Stage 1 Turbocharged Mazda MX-5 power upgrade specification
- BBR bespoke twin scroll hybrid TSX30-71R turbocharger including jet turbine specification fixings
- BBR bespoke cast iron twin scroll exhaust manifold
- BBR stainless steel downpipe
- BBR high-flow lightweight front mounted aluminium intercooler with factory look black intake pipes
- BBR high-flow custom silicone turbo pipes in factory look black finish with stainless steel hose clamps and unique black coating
- BBR lightweight aluminium battery tray in factory black finish
- BBR recirculating piston type dump valve in factory black finish
- BBR / Bosch MAP / temperature sensor
- BBR high efficiency carbon fibre turbocharger heat shield
- BBR high flow K&N Typhoon induction kit
- BBR stainless steel oil and water lines
- BBR Starchip EcuTek RaceRom calibration software