The 2015 Ford Focus ST has been unwrapped at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The new facelift brings restyled front and rear fascias, redesigned alloy wheels, improved interior, and new exterior colours. The hot hatch also promises to deliver improved dynamics with an updated suspension.
“We are proud Ford has long enjoyed a reputation for producing performance hatchbacks with superb driving dynamics, and the new Focus ST further ups the ante,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development.
“The engineering enhancements to the suspension and steering deliver greater responsiveness, agility and precision – all of which will reward the performance enthusiast with an exhilarating driving experience.”
The sports suspension features all-new front springs and sportier shock absorber tuning front and rear to deliver even sharper driving dynamics than the current model’s already impressive performance.
The electric power-assisted steering has also been revised to provide the Focus ST driver with improved steering feel.
Ford’s turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine remains unchanged. With twin independent variable camshaft timing and high-pressure direct injection, the four pot produces 183 kW of power and 360 Nm of torque.
The engine is paired exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission with a performance-oriented, short-throw shifter. The front-drive hot hatch sprints from zero to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds.
The new Focus ST features sportier and more aggressive styling than the previous generation, with a lower, wider stance; new dynamically sculpted hood; slimmer headlamps and rectangular fog lamps.
The sports body kit also includes body coloured side skirts and diffuser elements either side of the exhaust, and a rear roof spoiler optimized for aerodynamic performance. All new Focus ST models feature twin-hexagonal center tailpipes.
“The design of the new Focus is stronger and sportier, and that allowed us to make the new ST even more aggressive and dramatic,” said Moray Callum, Ford group vice president, Global Design. “The front bumper is deeper, the honeycomb upper grille is higher and more upright, and the lower grille is larger. The deeper rear bumper really emphasizes the width of the car.”
Ford has redesigned the Focus interior for a more intuitive layout, with a clearer visual connection between key components and significantly fewer buttons in the cabin (thanks for listening, Ford!).
An additional bank of three gauges – an ST hallmark – is situated in a central instrument pod and displays turbocharger boost pressure, oil temperature and oil pressure information. A new, flat-base sports steering wheel with a soft-feel leather covered rim, a satin chrome-topped gear lever and ST pedals wrap up the updated interior.
Refinements for the upgraded 2015 Focus ST include:
- Redesigned, sportier front and rear fascias
- HID headlamps standard with ST2 and ST3 trim levels with Recaro seats
- Standard LED signature lighting
- 18-inch Rado Gray alloy wheels standard
- Available new 18-inch alloy wheel design with red painted brake calipers
- New exterior color, Magnetic Metallic, replaces Ingot Silver
- Two over-the-top stripe choices now available – Satin Black and High Gloss Red, stripes come with matching mirror skull caps
- Redesigned instrument panel center stack with improved climate controls and new finishes
- New center console with more storage space including a new media bin with USB smart charging port, which charges two times faster than previous USB port
- Updated front door storage with cupholders
- New flat-bottom steering wheel to provide extra leg clearance for the driver
- Available heated steering wheel
- Available eight-way power driver’s seat
- Revised steering for improved feel
- Rear view camera standard
- Enhanced driving dynamics