The all-new Mazda CX-9 seven-seater SUV has arrived in Australia and is officially on sale now from $42,490 plus on-road costs. Now in its second-generation, the new CX-9 promises class-leading performance in three key areas – efficiency, safety and packaging.
Mazda claims the CX-9 boasts fuel economy figures that are almost 25 per cent better than the previous model, and a range of standard class-leading safety technologies, backed by a maximum 5 star ANCAP rating.
With a record 82,000 potential buyers registering their interest in Mazda’s large SUV, of which 23,000 have requested direct contact by a Dealer as soon as they arrive on the showroom floor, interest in the CX-9 has never been higher.
Available in four grades for the first time, the new CX-9 range includes the entry-level Sport, the core-grade Touring, the high-grade GT and the flagship Azami. All variants can be specified in either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. For the first time as well, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Smart City Brake Support [Forward/Reverse] (SCBS F/R) are standard across the entire CX-9 range.
Priced from $42,490 plus ORCs, the range-opening CX-9 Sport features 18-inch alloy wheels, MZD Connect infotainment system, satellite navigation, reverse camera with rear parking sensors, Smart City Brake Support (Forward/Reverse), Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring and LED headlamps.
The $48,890 plus ORCs CX-9 Touring is expected to the most popular variant. It builds on the standard specification of the Sport but also adds front fog-lamps, larger 8-inch touch-screen display, 6-way power adjusted front seats with heating function and driver lumbar support, and black leather trim.
The GT grade – which starts at $57,390 plus ORCs – pushes upmarket with larger 20-inch alloys, keyless entry, remote operated power tailgate, front parking sensors, head-up display and digital radio (DAB+).
The top of the range Azami model comes in at $59,390 plus ORCs and features Radar Cruise control and the full suite of advanced safety technologies including Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH), which incorporates High Beam Control (HBC), Driver Attention Alert (DAA), Lane Keep-assist System (LAS), Smart Brake Support (SBS), Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW), and Lane Departure warning (LDW). Both the GT and Azami come with standard black leather or Natural Stone leather as an optional extra.
The range is powered by an all-new 2.5-litre direct-injection turbocharged petrol engine with auto stop/start and regenerative braking, paired to a six-speed automatic transmission. The powertrain outputs 170kW of power at 5,000rpm and 420Nm of torque at a low 2,000rpm, while fuel economy is rated at 8.4L/100km for front-wheel drive models and 8.8L/100km for all-wheel drive alternatives.
The CX-9 is available in eight contemporary colours including Machine Grey Metallic, Soul Red Metallic, Snowflake White Metallic, Sonic Silver Metallic, Jet Mica, Deep Crystal Blue Mica and Titanium Flash Mica.
2017 Mazda CX-9 Australian Pricing and Specification
CX-9 Sport features include:
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 255/60 tyres
- Headlamps (LED)
- Air-conditioning (three-zone climate control) with independent rear control
- Rear-view mirror with auto dimming function
- Rear seats with: 60/40 split fold backrest (2nd row) and 50/50 split fold backrest (3rd row)
- Seat trim: black cloth
- 7-inch touchscreen display (MZD Connect)
- Audio system with AM/FM tuner and 6 speakers
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability
- Internet radio integration (Pandora®, Stitcher™ and Aha™)
- Multi-function commander control
- Satellite navigation
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM)
- Advanced keyless push button engine start
- Parking sensors (rear)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Reverse camera
- Smart City Brake Support [Forward/Reverse] (SCBS F/R)
CX-9 Touring features additional to Sport include:
- Front fog-lamps (LED)
- Headlamps auto on/off function
- Wipers front 2-speed with rain-sensing function
- Front seats with: 6-way power adjustment, lumbar adjust (driver only) and heating function
- Rear seats with: centre armrest storage and USB input ports (2nd row)
- Seat trim: black leather
- 8-inch touch screen display (MZD Connect)
CX-9 GT features additional to Touring include:
- 20-inch alloy wheels with 255/50 tyres
- Advanced keyless entry
- Remote operated power tailgate (open/close)
- Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
- Active Driving Display / head up display (HUD)
- Front seats with: 2-position memory function (driver)
- Seat trim: Black or natural stone leather
- Audio system with: Digital radio (DAB+) Premium Bose 294 watt amplifier and 12 speakers (including subwoofer)
- Parking sensors (front)
CX-9 Azami features additional to GT include:
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go function
- Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
- Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
- Smart Brake Support (SBS)
2017 Mazda CX-9 Pricing*
CX-9 6A Sport FWD $42,490
CX-9 6A Sport AWD $46,490
CX-9 6A Touring FWD $48,890
CX-9 6A Touring AWD $52,890
CX-9 6A GT FWD $57,390
CX-9 6A GT AWD $61,390
CX-9 6A Azami FWD $59,390
CX-9 6A Azami AWD $63,390
*Manufacturer’s list price, excluding on-road costs