Volkswagen has announced that it will offer the Golf GTI 40 Years edition with a six-speed manual transmission priced from $46,990 plus on-roads. The new variant will join its DSG-equipped sibling from the third quarter of 2016.
Boasting the same specification as the $2000 dearer DSG model, the manual-driven Golf GTI 40 Years features the most powerful engine ever fitted to a production GTI to date. The 2.0-litre turbocharged engine develops 195kW. – a whopping 33kW more than the standard GTI and 26kW more than the GTI Performance variant. A new boost function gives the special edition GTI a further power-up to 213kW, and also provides 380Nm of torque upon full ‘kick down’ of the acceleration for around 10 seconds each time.
The Golf GTI 40 Years incorporates some of the best technical features of the earlier Golf GTI Performance model, including: larger brakes, sophisticated front differential lock, unique 19-inch ‘Ruby’ alloy wheels, and adaptive chassis control.
A unique and purposeful styling treatment simultaneously upholds the Golf GTI’s legacy and sets the 40 Year model apart. A bespoke body kit including a new front bumper with larger air intakes and a two-piece rear roof spoiler gives the GTI an aggressive stance on the road and increased downforce.
Elsewhere, a black side stripe on the body and the choice of a traditional tornado red and pure white paint exterior pay tribute to the original GTI. The interior conveys a premium sport quality, with unique anniversary ‘honeycomb’ seat upholstery (featuring the GTI logo) and decorative inlays as well as an Alcantara-covered steering wheel and door trim inserts.
Other specification highlights include:
- Choice of gloss paint finishes with a contrasting black roof or Metallic paint finish
- Black door mirrors
- Revised rear bumper with new diffusor
- Large diameter exhaust tailpipes, left and right
- Darkened LED tail lights, reminiscent of the Golf R
- Extended side sills
- Traditional GTI-themed red stitching on wheel, seat belts and floor mats
- Front door sill strips with new GTI emblem
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB)
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert