The all-new Nissan Z is the first renewed Z model in 12 years, replacing the long-running 370Z. For the first time, new Z has dropped its numeric moniker in its name and is called simply the Nissan Z.
For a performance model with more than 50 years of heritage, Nissan’s team of designers and engineers forged a fresh path with the new Z Coupe, one which draws inspiration from the past and a showcase of the present.
Penned by Nissan’s design studio in Japan, the new Z boasts a modern silhouette that communicates respect for the original Z model. The colour palette welcomes the return of the bright yellow pearlescent paint – a tribute to a popular paint scheme on both the first generation Z (S30) and the 300ZX (Z32) – and a black roof.
The shape of the bonnet and the canted, teardrop-shaped LED headlights are both unmistakable reminders of the original Z, while the rectangular grille’s dimensions are similar to the current model with the addition of oval grille fins to offer an updated modern look.
Chosen for this seventh-generation Z was Nissan’s VR30DDTT twin-turbo 3.0-litre V6, which improves power to weight by almost 13 per cent over the previous 370Z, with improved structural rigidity and a faster sprint capability.
Underpinning the Z is all-alloy double wishbone front suspension, with a multi-link alloy independent rear. Stopping power is provided by ventilated front and rear discs, enclosed by 19-inch forged-alloy wheels.
The six-speed manual transmission variant is matched to an Exedy clutch system, with power fed to the rear wheels via a carbon-fibre composite tailshaft for lightness and strength. Automatic rev-matching is also offered for smooth downshifts.
The automatic is a shift-by-wire nine-speed transmission, with paddle shifters on either side of the leather-accented steering wheel. Two driving modes are available: Standard and Sport, which unlocks performance by changing the steering profile, activating the Active Sound Enhancement system, and engaging sports mode in the Vehicle Dynamic Control.
Both automatic and manual models also feature launch control, a first for the Z.
High levels of passive and active safety are included, with the Z featuring the full suite of Nissan Intelligent Mobility features including Intelligent Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection, Intelligent Forward Collision Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring, High Beam Assist, Land Departure Warning and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. Parking sensors are fitted front and rear, with a rear camera.
The new Z redesigned two-seater cabin is accessed via vertical handles hidden within the door apertures.
Highlight of the new cockpit is the new 12.3-inch full LCD instrumentation display. It can be switched between three settings: Standard, Enhanced and Sport, the latter putting the tachometer centrally in the display, with an electronic upshift alert at the 12 o’clock position.
Recessed across the middle of instrument panel is the traditional three-gauge Z display, while below is an 8.0-inch touchscreen display which operates the infotainment system.
A premium eight-speaker Bose sound system is standard equipment, as is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Two USB connection are also provided for extra charging and connectivity options.
A leather-and-suede-accented sports interior, with heated, four-way power-adjustable driver and passenger seats, and a steering wheel adjustable for height and tilt, make for a comfortable yet sporty driving environment.
Nissan Z Coupe
Price: $73,300 (excluding on-road costs)
- 3.0-litre twin-turbo (VR30DDTT) DOHC V6, fuel-injected, four-valve-per-cylinder alloy engine which produces 298kW (up 22 per cent on 370Z), and 475Nm of torque (up 112Nm on 370Z)
- Choice of six-speed manual transmission or nine-speed shift-by-wire automatic with manual mode
- Both manual and automatic transmissions feature launch control
- Six-speed manual features synchronised rev-matching control, and high-performance clutch by EXEDY
- Carbon fibre composite driveshaft (MT only)
- Rear wheel drive with mechanical limited-slip differential
- Automatic transmission models feature aluminium paddle shifters and Standard mode and Sport mode, which unlocks sports steering profile, Active Sound Enhancement and sports Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) setting
- Power-to-weight ratio improved by 12.8 per cent (over 370Z)
- Fuel consumption is 10.8 litres/100kms for the manual version, and 9.8 litres/100kms for the automatic (combined)
- Double-wishbone aluminium-alloy front suspension with aluminium subframe at front
- Multi-link aluminium-alloy and steel rear suspension with steel subframe
- 19” forged RAYS alloys in dark metallic with red calipers
- 355mm front and 350mm rear vented brake discs – 4-piston front brakes and 2-piston rear brakes with red caliper finish
- Front: 255/40R19 front Bridgestone Potenza S007 high-performance
- Rear: 275/35R19 rear Bridgestone Potenza S007 high-performance
- All models feature a multi-mode 12.3-inch TFT driver instrumentation display with three driver modes: Normal (with tachometer, speedometer and audio shown); Enhanced (which pushes tachometer and speedometer to the edges and displays technical information at the centre) and: Sport (which puts the tachometer centrally with a shift-up light at 12 o’clock, and potential for G-meter and boost control displays)
- 8.0-inch central infotainment display with eight-speaker BOSE audio system, incorporating standard integrated Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Three gauge analogue display (boost, turbo fan speed, voltage)
Exterior design features:
- Auto-levelling LED headlights with welcome signature and LED DTRL
- Automatic dusk sensor
- Kick plates with Z branding
- Front, side sill and rear spoilers
- Dual tailpipe exhaust
- High-mounted LED stop light
- Rear fog light
Interior trim and comfort features:
- Electrically heated, leather-accented seats with suede trim door finisher
- Active Noise Cancellation & Active Sound Enhancement
- Drive Mode Selector (A/T model only)
- Intelligent Key with push-button start and panic alarm
- 12V power outlet
- Climate-control air conditioning
- Power-folding and heated door mirrors with integrated turn signal
- Four cup holders (doors and centre console)
- Bluetooth hands free phone system
- Auto-dipping rear mirror and illuminated vanity mirrors
- Aluminium pedals
- Manual tilt & telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- Four-way power-adjust driver seat with manual lifter, thigh & lumbar support
- Four-way power-adjust front passenger seat
- Premium leather-accented steering wheel
Full suite of Nissan Intelligent Mobility features including:
- Intelligent Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection
- Intelligent Forward Collision Warning
- Blind Sport Warning
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- High Beam Assist
- Traffic Sign Recognition
Comprehensive safety offering also includes:
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rear camera with predictive path technology
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Front, side front and side curtain airbags
- 3-point seat belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters
- Active head restraint system
- Intelligent Cruise Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Vehicle Dynamic Control with cancel switch
- ISOFIX child seat tether
- Traction control system
Nissan Z Coupe PROTO (sold out)
Price: $80,700 (excluding on-road costs)
In addition to Z Coupe, PROTO variant features:
- 19” Bronze Forged alloy wheels with yellow calipers
- Black leather-accented interior with unique yellow accents and stitching
- Available only in Ikazuchi Yellow pearlescent paint with Super Black roof