The all-new fifth-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee has bowed in, coinciding with the brand’s 80th year as manufacturer of adventure vehicles.
Said to be the most advanced and capable Grand Cherokee ever, the new SUV brings a host of new technologies, including the first-ever plug-in hybrid electric Grand Cherokee and improved off-road systems.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe
The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe offers a new plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) technology that combines two electric motors, a 400-volt battery pack, 2.0-litre turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Combined, the 4xe system delivers 280 kW and 637 Nm of torque, with an all-electric range of 40km and total range of 708km.
4xe E Selec modes
With E Selec modes, the driver can tailor the hybrid powertrain to best suit each trip, whether it be commuting, off-roading or long-distance travel.
The driver selects the desired powertrain mode via buttons mounted on the instrument panel, to the left of the steering wheel:
Hybrid: Blends torque from the electric motor and gas engine. The powertrain will optimize battery and engine power to deliver the best combination of fuel efficiency and performance
Electric: Operates on zero-emission electric power only until the battery reaches the minimum charge or the driver requests more torque (such as wide-open throttle), which engages the engine
eSave: Prioritizes the engine, saving the battery charge for later use. The driver can also choose between Battery Save and Battery Charge during eSave via the Hybrid Electric Pages in the Uconnect 5 monitor
Regardless of the mode selected, the Grand Cherokee 4xe operates as a hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge.
Off-road capability is maintained in the 4xe, with all-wheel drive featured and all electronics sealed and waterproof. The Trail Rated Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe is capable of water fording up to 61 cm.
Jeep 4×4 Systems
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee continues to build on its off-road prowess with three enhanced 4×4 systems – Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II with rear electronic limited slip-differential (eLSD). All three systems are equipped with an active transfer case to improve traction by moving torque to work with the wheel with the most grip.
The class-exclusive Jeep Quadra-Lift air suspension, now with electronic semi-active damping, delivers up to class-leading 28.7 cm of ground clearance and 61 cm of water fording.
The system automatically adjusts the shock tuning to changing road conditions for enhanced comfort, stability and control, or may be controlled manually with console controls, and features five height settings for optimum ride performance.
The Selec-Terrain system traction management system lets drives choose the on- or off-road setting for optimum 4×4 performance. It offers five available terrain modes (Auto, Sport, Rock, Snow, Mud/Sand) to provide optimized calibrations for any given driving scenario.
New for the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4×4 is front-axle disconnect. If the vehicle senses that road conditions do not require all-wheel drive, the front-axle disconnect automatically places the Grand Cherokee in two-wheel drive, reducing drag on the driveline and improving fuel economy. Four-wheel drive automatically re-engages when the vehicle senses it is needed.
Trailhawk – the most capable Grand Cherokee
The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk elevates Grand Cherokee’s 4×4 capability even further.
The new Trailhawk features standard all-terrain tires, integrated off-road camera, Quadra-Lift air suspension with up to 28.7cm of ground clearance, improved approach, departure and breakover angles and the Quadra- Drive II active transfer case with rear eLSD and Selec-Terrain.
The most capable model in the new Grand Cherokee lineup also features:
- Class-exclusive sway-bar disconnect to allow for improved articulation and traction over rocks and rough terrain
- Selec-Speed Control for managing vehicle speed in 4LO while traversing off-road terrain. On steep inclines/declines or when traversing obstacles, Selec-Speed Control automatically applies engine torque and/or brake pressure to maintain a consistent and safe off-roading speed without requiring the driver to control the throttle or the brake
- High-strength steel skid plates
- Red tow hooks
- 18-inch wheels with all-terrain tires
- Glare-proof black-and-red matte “Trailhawk” bonnet decal
Trailhawk 4xe – Trail Rated, nature approved
For the first time ever, the fifth-generation Grand Cherokee offers the electrified Trailhawk 4xe, which combines an estimated 40 km of all-electric “Zero Emission Freedom” with Grand Cherokee Trailhawk’s 4×4 capability.
Highlights for the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4xe include:
- Quadra-Drive II 4×4 system with 2-speed transfer case and 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio Rear electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD)
- Selec-Terrain traction management system
- Selec-Speed Control
- 8 cm of ground clearance
- 61 cm of water fording capability
- 4:1 crawl ratio
- Blue tow hooks
- Blue-accented 18-inch wheels with all-terrain tires
- Glare-proof black-and-blue matte “Trailhawk” bonnet decal
The new Grand Cherokee is also available with two petrol powertrains. The Pentastar 3.6-litre V6 engine produces 213kW and 348Nm of torque, while the 5.7-litre Hemi V8 developes 263kW and 529Nm. Both are married to an eight-speed automatic transmission with two wheel drive coming as standard, while four-wheel drive is offered as an option.
Safety and security features
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee ushers in an array of more than 110 advanced safety and security features. Standard safety features across the lineup include:
Full-Speed Collision Warning with Active Braking and Pedestrian/Cyclist Detection Rear Cross Path detection
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Active Lane Management
- LaneSense Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist Advanced Brake Assist
- Blind-spot Monitoring
- ParkView rear back-up camera
- ParkSense rear park assist sensors with stop
- Switch-activated electric park brake
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
Additional available safety features include:
- New Night Vision Camera with pedestrian and animal detection
- New Intersection Collision Assist
- New Drowsy Driver Detection system
- Parallel and Perpendicular Park Assist and new Traffic Sign Recognition
- New 360-degree surround-view camera system with front and rear washers
- New Active Driving Assist (L2) hands-on-wheel and eyes-on-road automated driving
Technology and connectivity
The new fifth-generation Grand Cherokee has the most available technology features in its history. The suite of features available includes:
- Uconnect 5 – the most advanced Uconnect system ever offers up to three 10.1-inch (25.6 cm) and two 10.25-inch (26 cm) digital displays in the cabin and an intuitive user experience
- A segment-exclusive front passenger screen offers co-pilot assistance with navigation, camera viewing and visual entertainment
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- New digital rearview mirror
- New full-color, 10-inch (25.4 cm) windshield Head-up Display (HUD)
- New wireless charging pad in front centre console
- Greater connectivity with two Bluetooth-enabled phones paired simultaneously
- Alexa virtual assistant functionality
- All-new Uconnect mobile app
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot to connect up to eight devices