Maserati is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the launch of its first series production road car, the Maserati 3500GT, with two special edition models – the GranTurismo and GranCabrio, which have arrived in Australia just days after they were unveiled at the Geneva International Motor Show.
The first Maserati production road car was created in 1957 and 60 years ago, the 3500 GT made its debut at that year’s Geneva Motor Show.
The Special Edition is based on the GranTurismo and GranCabrio Sport with only 400 units produced for worldwide consumption.
Unique features include the New Rosso Italiano three-layer paint for the exteriors, reinterpreting the red of Fangio’s Maserati 250F – the F1 champion in 1957 – and emphasising the link with Maserati’s heritage. The wheels are MC-design 20-inch alloy wheels with a new Glossy Black finish that matches the Special Edition logo wheel centre caps.
The interiors have also been reimagined: the new interior design revolves around Poltrona Frau leather or leather/Alcantara upholstery and new interior stitching available in 4 different combinations. Other distinguishing interior details are the door sills in carbon fibre featuring the Special Edition logo and the dedicated plate on the central tunnel with a carbon fibre holder, commemorating the anniversary and the limited production run of 400 units.
Both models are powered by one of the most captivating engines of all time, the Ferrari-derived 4.7 litre 338kW normally aspirated V8 which propels the Maserati GranTurismo Special Edition to 100 km/h in 4.8 second and on to a top speed of 298 km/h.
The Maserati GranTurismo Special Edition is priced from $309,990, while the Maserati GranCabrio Special Edition starts from $349,990. Both before on-roads.
GranTurismo & GranCabrio Sport “Special Edition”
|GranTurismo Sport Special Edition||GranCabrio Sport Special Edition|
|Engine||338kW 4.7-litre V8 naturally aspirated Ferrari engine.|
Max speed: 298 km/h
0-100 km/h: 4.8 sec.
|338kW 4.7-litre V8 naturally aspirated Ferrari engine.|
Max speed: 285 km/h
0-100 km/h: 5.0 sec.
|Suspension & Chassis||Sport Skyhook for the best sports performance combined with increased comfort.|
|Transmission||MC Auto Shift (6-speed automatic gearbox, front transmission in unit with the engine, drive shaft, rear differential – Rear Wheel Drive).||MC Auto Shift (6-speed automatic gearbox, front transmission in unit with the engine, drive shaft, rear differential – Rear Wheel Drive).|
|Transmission modes||Five driving modes: Auto-Normal, Auto-Sport, Manual-Normal, Manual-Sport, Ice.|
|Dual Cast brake system with drilled and ventilated discs by Brembo. Each disc ID machined with 4 slots and 16 blind holes around the perimeter. The slots keep the brake pads clean, preventing loss of efficiency, and help to break up the flow of water over the surface, while the extra holes ensure uniform wear of the pads and disc to prevent the deterioration of performance over time.|
|Aerodynamics||The hood, made entirely from carbon fibre, produces additional downforce at the front, improving steering feel and driving control at high speed.|
|Exterior Bodywork||The extreme appearance has been reinterpreted to create an elegant sportiness. The details that adorn the lines of the car give its elegance and style a sportier feel; a natural progression, truly following Maserati tradition.|
|Exhaust System||Oval exhaust tips with bypass flaps always open in Sport mode for a full Maserati sound experience.|
- 3 “extra campionario” paints available (New Rosso Italiano, Bianco Birdcage, Grigio Lava) and 4 typical Maserati range colours (Nero, Bianco Eldorado, Nero Carbonio, Grigio Granito)
- Alloy wheels: MC-design 20” alloy wheels with a new Glossy Black finish
- Special Edition logo wheel centre caps in a new finish, matching the wheel colour
- The distinctive features of the carbon fibre hood, which comes as standard for body colour and available as an optional extra for the carbon look, are its front central air intake and two rear air vents. The internal part of the hood is in matt carbon fibre featuring a large-scale pattern. The hood of the GranCabrio Sport has been specifically modified, starting from the coupe model, and fitted to respect the restrictive regulations concerning pedestrian impact.
- Standard carbon fibre look (front splitter, door handles, side mirrors, rear lip spoiler).
- New Poltrona Frau leather or leather/Alcantara upholstery and interior stitching available in 4 combinations:
- Bianco Pregiato leather interior with Grigio Chrono insert and Grigio Chrono stitching
- Black leather/black drilled Alcantara interior with Red stitching
- Black leather with White stitching
- Black leather/grey drilled Alcantara interior with Grigio Ghiaccio stitching
- Standard carbon fibre look (centre console, paddles shift, instrument surround, carbon finish on dash and door panels trim strips)
- Floor mats with coloured piping matching the interior details
- Door sills in carbon fibre with Special Edition logo
- Dedicated plate on central tunnel with carbon fibre holder, paying tribute to the anniversary and the limited 400-unit production run