The new BMW Z4 roadster is set to hit showrooms down under in April priced from $84,900 plus on-road costs.
The full pricing and specification of the 2019 Z4 range has been confirmed today with the three-tier line-up kicked off by the Z4 sDrive20i, moving up to the mid-spec Z4 sDrive30i and topped off with the Z4 M40i.
Penned by BMW Group’s Australian designer Calvin Luk, the third-generation Z4 continues the nameplate’s hallmark attributes – perfect 50:50 weight distribution, rear-wheel drive, wide tracks and a compact wheelbase. The only departure being the new model’s soft top roof, replacing the previous hard top for lighter weight.
Vertically aligned headlights, the BMW kidney grille sporting a mesh design, the bonnet stretching sports car-like over the wheels, large air breathers on the front wheel arches and the distinctive spoiler integrated into the rear lid all contribute towards the characteristic look of the new BMW Z4.
The design of the interior also places the focus on the driving, with the driver-oriented cockpit styling underscored by dynamic forward-oriented lines.
Head-Up Display is featured for the first time in the Z4 roadster, while Matrix LED headlights and BMW Live Cockpit Professional are some of the latest technology underpinning the new roadster.
The Z4 sDrive20i entry point houses the latest iteration of BMW’s widely-used 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder petrol engine. In this tune, the sDrive20i engine develops 145kW from 4,500rpm to 6,500rpm, backed by 320Nm of torque peak on tap from 1,450rpm to 4,200rpm. Fuel economy is listed at 6.5L/100km on the combined cycle, while the sprint to 100km/h from standstill is claimed to be 6.6 seconds.
Stepping to the sDrive30i, the same turbo four-pot is tuned up to generate 190kW from 5,000rpm to 6,500rpm, with a diesel-like 400Nm torque peak, supplied from 1,550rpm to 4,400rpm. Fuel economy is similar to the 20i, returning 6.5L/100km, while 0 to 100km/h acceleration is achieved in 5.4 seconds.
Heading the range is the Z4 M40i motivated by a turbo straight-six engine that develops 250kW from 5,000rpm to 6,500rpm, with a potent 500Nm of peak torque from 1,600rpm through to 4,500rpm. Performance astounds, with 100km/h achieved in only 4.5 seconds. This strong performance is matched by high efficiency, with fuel economy rated at 7.4L/100km.
All variants are offered with an eight-speed sports automatic transmission with launch control fitted as standard.
The M Sport Package that is fitted as standard to Australian-specification BMW Z4 sDrive20i lowers the car 10mm for even sharper control, while Adaptive M Suspension is fitted as standard to sDrive30i and M40i variants (optional on sDrive20i). The two upper spec models also feature a 17-inch M Sport Brake package with blue-painted calipers.
The Z4 sDrive20i sits on 18-inch light alloy wheels fitted with performance tyres measuring 255/40/ZR18 on the front axle and 275/40/ZR18 on the rear. Moving to the Z4 sDrive30i or M40i brings a set of 19-inch light alloy wheel as standard. The performance tyres are sized 255/35/ZR19 on the front axle and 275/35/ZR19 at the rear.
BMW Z4 launch range pricing (excluding on-roads)
BMW Z4 sDrive20i $84,900
BMW Z4 sDrive30i $104,900
BMW Z4 M40i $124,900
2019 BMW Z4 specification highlights
The BMW Z4 sDrive20i features:
- 18-inch light alloy wheels with performance tyres
- M Sport Package
- Eight-speed Sport Automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- Tyre Repair Kit
- Wind Deflector
- Interior and driver’s side exterior mirror with automatic anti-dazzle function
- Heated M Sport Seats, electrically-adjustable with memory function
- Through-loading system
- Storage Compartment Package
- Interior trims in Aluminium Tetragon
- Instrument panel in Sensatec
- Two-zone Automatic Air Conditioning
- Cruise Control with Braking Function
- High-Beam Assistant
- Driving Assistant
- Parking Assistant including Reverse Assistant
- Active Guard
- Head-Up Display
- DAB digital radio
- HiFi Loudspeaker System with 10 speakers
- Connected Package Professional, including Apple CarPlay
- M leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional
- Wireless Charging
- LED Headlights
- ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery
Additionally, the BMW Z4 sDrive30i offers the following:
- 19-inch light alloy wheels with performance tyres
- Comfort Access, including Digital Key to enable remote smartphone
locking/unlocking and engine start from wireless charging tray
- M Sport Brakes
- Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Adaptive LED Headlights
The top-range BMW Z4 M40i adds:
- Specific M Performance engine and suspension tuning
- M Sport Differential – electrically-controlled limited-slip differential
- Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
- Ambient Light
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System with 12 speakers
By Variant: Performance and efficiency
|Z4 sDrive 20i||2.0L 4-cyl turbo-petrol||145kW / 320Nm||6.6sec||6.5L/100km||148g/km|
|Z4 sDrive30i||2.0L 4-cyl turbo-petrol||190kW / 400Nm||5.4sec||6.5L/100km||149g/km|
|Z4 M40i||3.0L 6-cyl turbo-petrol||250kW / 500Nm||4.5sec||7.5L/100km||169g/km|