Pricing and specification of the new BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo have been confirmed for the Australian market. Available in dealerships from November, 2017, the first ever 6 Series GT will replace the 5 Series GT with a two tier line-up, starting from $123,500 for the 630i GT and $148,900 for the 640i xDrive GT flagship.
The 630i GT is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine generating 190kW of power and some 400Nm for an effortless combination of low-rev response and strong acceleration. Fuel economy is rated at 7.0L/100km on the combined cycle.
Underneath the 640i xDrive bonnet sits BMW’s familiar 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine that produces 250kW and 450Nm of torque while using only 8.5L/100km on the combined cycle.
Adaptive 2-axle Air Suspension with dynamic damper control and height adjustment is fitted across the range. Fitted as standard to the 640i GT is BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system, which operates on a normal 40:60 per cent front:rear drive split. Depending on driving conditions, the system can send drive across the entire driving range: from 0:100 per cent to 100:0, for maximum traction in all situations.
Augmenting this is the Active Steering system. Taken from the 7 Series and 5 Series options list, Active Steering is standard on 640i xDrive and optional on 630i.
Compared to the old model, the new 6 Series GT is much better proportioned. Its length has been stretched to 5,091mm while height has been reduced by 21mm. The car’s tailgate has also been redesigned and now sits 64mm lower than the 5 Series GT.
At the front, the car sports a larger front grille flanked by a pair of standard LED headlights. Along the sides, the front fender vents appear to be borrowed from the 5 Series, while its windows are frameless. At the back, the wraparound taillights features three-dimensional styling elements.
Inside, the cabin is largely carried over from the latest 5 Series. There is a freestanding 10.25-inch infotainment screen complete with voice and gesture control. Behind the rear hatch is 610 litres of luggage space, which can be expanded to 1,800 litres when the rear seats are electrically folded down.
Performance and efficiency
|630i GT||2.0-litre 4-cyl|
BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo pricing and specification
The 630i is equipped with the following equipment highlights:
- M Sport Package (Luxury Line available as a no-cost option)
- 19-inch BMW M double spoke light-alloy wheels
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Automatic tailgate
- Active rear spoiler
- Panorama Glass Sunroof
- Active kidney grille
- Chrome Line exterior finishers
- M Aerodynamics Package
- M Sport Brakes
- Adaptive 2-Axle Air Suspension with dynamic damper control
- Ambient lighting
- Comfort Access
- Professional Navigation with iDrive6 and 10.25-inch touchscreen
- 12.3-inch multi-function display with black panel technology
- Head-Up Display
- Speed limit info
- High Beam Assist
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Parking Assistant Plus
- Eight-speed sports automatic transmission with gearshift paddles
- ConnectedDrive Freedom
- Wireless charging
- DAB Digital radio
- 16-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system
- Two-zone climate control air conditioning
- Sensatec instrument panel
- BMW Individual roofliner in Anthracite
- Leather Dakota upholstery
- Heated front seats with lumbar support
The BMW 640i GT xDrive builds further on this strong base with additional equipment, including:
- xDrive all-wheel drive system.
- 20-inch BMW M double-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Integral Active Steering
- Metallic paintwork
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Front comfort seats
- Active front seat ventilation
- Four-zone climate control air conditioning
- Ambient Air
- Rear seats with electric backrest adjustment
- Electric roller sunblinds to rear side windows
Luxury Line – available at no additional cost
For those seeking additional refinement over the M Sport Package fitted as standard, the Luxury Line is available as a no-cost option. This includes:
- Luxury design 19-inch light alloy wheels (630i)
- Luxury design 20-inch light alloy wheels (640i xDrive)
- Specific front and rear chrome design elements
- Chrome window frames and inserts for illuminated door handles
- LED Fog Lights
- ‘Luxury’ badging on front side panels
- ‘Luxury Line’ door sill finishers
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Electric backrest adjustment to rear seats (630i)
- Nappa Leather upholstery (630i)
- Comfort seats for driver and front passenger (630i)
- Active Seat Ventilation for driver and front passenger (630i)
- Ambient Air Package (630i)
- Automatic air-conditioning with four-zone control (630i)