The all new BMW X5 will arrive in Australia in November 2018, with the launch range including the X5 xDrive30d and M50d M Performance variants, respectively priced from $112,990 and $149,900 plus on-road costs.
Now into its fourth generation, the new X5 has grown in all dimensions compared to its predecessor. The wheelbase is 42 mm longer (now 2,975 mm), while the length, width and height have increased 36mm (to 4,922 mm), 66mm (to 2,004 mm) and 19mm respectively (to 1,745 mm).
The rear tailgate splits into two sections, with each segment electronically actuated for the first time, easing access and aiding practicality. Luggage capacity is 645 litres, expanding to 1,860 litres with the second-row seats folded flat.
The all new BMW X5 will be available in two non-metallic and five metallic exterior paints. In addition Sunstone Metallic, sourced from the BMW Individual collection, is also available.
Five no-cost option interior trim finishers, along with two BMW Individual options (fine-wood Ash Grain in high-gloss silver Grey, or Piano Black) provide further personalisation.
Fitted as standard across the range is high-quality ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery in a choice of five colours. BMW Individual can also supply an extended ‘Merino’ leather upholstery in a range of four colours.
An impressive eight alloy road wheel choices are available for the xDrive30d. Fitted as standard with a 20-inch V-spoke in Bicolour ferric Grey, there are two no-cost 19-inch options, an alternate 20-inch for no cost and four 21-inch alternatives (at extra cost).
The imposing M50d comes standard with a 22-inch V-spoke in Cerium Grey, with two additional 22-inch options available at no cost. These two are also available for the xDrive30d.
Available on the xDrive30d, the BMW xOffroad Package makes its debut and is available at launch.
Featuring aluminium underbody protection elements and the 2-axle air suspension system with an electronically-controlled rear differential lock, the xOffroad package also introduces an additional ‘off-road’ rocker switch to the centre console.
This rocker allows the driver to cycle through four specific modes, each with its own ride height, xDrive, steering, accelerator, transmission and DSC system specifics: xSand, xRocks, xGravel and xSnow.
Additional information is received to the cockpit via xView. Using the in-car Control Display, xView shows tilt angle, height setting and current off-road mode. Off-road specific camera perspectives aid all-round vision.
BMW X5 xDrive30d
The xDrive30d is powered by a 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine developing 195kW and 620Nm of torque. Paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission and drives all four wheels via BMW’s xDrive four-wheel drive system, the sprint from zero to 100km/h is achieved in 6.5 seconds.
Standard equipment for the BMW X5 xDrive30d includes:
- Comfort Access system
- Ambient Light with six configurable lighting arrays
- Driving Assistant Professional, including:
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Rear View Camera and 3D View
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function
- Front and rear Cross traffic warning
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant
- Lane keeping Assistant with Side Collision Warning Crossroads warning
- Evasion Aid
- Connected Package Professional, including:
- Remote services, Real-time Traffic Information, Apple CarPlay and Concierge Services
- ‘2.5’ zone Automatic air conditioning with auto recirculated air control, microfilter, active carbon filter and solar/fogging sensors
- Through loading system with 40:20:40 split
- DAB+ digital radio tuner
- 10-speaker HiFi Loudspeaker system
- Adaptive LED headlights with High beam assist
- LED front fog lights
- Rear LED taillights
- Electric exterior mirrors, heated, with electric fold function
- Interior mirror with anti-dazzle function
- Rain sensor with automatic wiper and headlight activation
The X5 xDrive30d features the strong xLine trim package as standard:
- 20-inch light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in Ferric Grey with run-flat tyres
- Sport leather steering wheel
- BMW Individual Exterior Line and roof rails in Aluminium satinated
- Chrome kidney grille frame
- Aluminium ‘Mesheffect’ dark interior trims
- Satinised aluminium Air breather surround
- Illuminated xLine door sill finishers, front
- xLine-specific exterior air inlets
- Dual chrome trapezoidal exhaust pipe finishers
The M Sport Package, which accounted for over 80 per cent of the predecessor model’s sales, is available for $4,000.
M Sport Package highlights include:
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels, Star-spoke style in Bicolour Orbit Grey with run-flat tyres
- M Sport brakes
- Adaptive M Suspension
- BMW Individual roof rails in high gloss Shadow Line
- Aluminium Tetragon interior trims
- M Leather steering wheel
- M Aerodynamics package
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior finishers
- BMW Individual Anthracite headliner
- M door sill finishers, front
- M Sport pedals
- M Specific instrument displays
- Air Breather in high-gloss black
- M Sport specific exhaust pipe finishers
- M exterior designation
- M Sport specific key with blue highlight
BMW X5 M50d
Joining the X5 xDrive30d in Australian showrooms from launch is the X5 M50d M Performance model.
Featuring a quad-turbocharged version of the 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel engine, the M50d offers 294kW and 760Nm for a zero-100km/h time of just 5.2 seconds.
Coupled to a specifically-tuned eight-speed sports automatic transmission and xDrive four- wheel drive system, the X5 M50d also adds an M Sport Differential for the rear axle to further aid traction and performance.
The X5 M50d also benefits from a new Adaptive M Suspension Professional system, which includes anti-roll stabilisation as well as Integral Active Steering, the latter capable of steering the rear wheels for enhanced stability and agility.
Other key specification highlights above the xDrive30d include:
- 22-inch M light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in M Bicolour
- Soft-close door function
- Four-zone Automatic air conditioning
- BMW Individual leather instrument panel
- Front cup holders with heat and cool functions
- Seat lumbar support
- Front seat heating
- 16-speaker Harman/kardon Surround Sound system
- BMW Laserlight with BMW Selective Beam
- Metallic Paint
- M Sport brakes with blue calipers
- M Aerodynamics Package
- Cerium Grey ‘M Performance’ exterior elements
2019 BMW X5 range pricing (excluding on-roads)
BMW X5 xDrive30d – $112,990
BMW X5 M50d – $149,900