Volvo has been largely dormant when it comes to making high performance variants of their standard production cars. However, in recent years the Swedish company has stepped up its game with cars like the S60 T6 with its powerful 304 horsepower (224kW) turbocharged engine and all-wheel-drive. Things have gone even better with Volvo engaging motorsports partner Polestar to produce a new performance concept based on the S60 sedan.
The Concept is called the Volvo S60 Polestar Performance Concept and shows the tuning potential of Volvo vehicles. Under the hood the S60 Polestar Performance Concept shares the same 3.0 litre six cylinder engine as the standard S60 T6. But the similarity stops here as everything else is bigger and better. For a start the Polestar S60’s cylinder head and engine internals are strengthen. Then it gets a new intake manifold and a redesigned intake system, custom connecting rods, a new Garret turbocharger and a high-flow stainless-steel turbo-back exhaust system.
The result is a whopping 508 horsepower (374 kW) and 424 Lb-Ft (575 Nm) of torque, enough to go head to head with the likes of BMW M3, Audi RS4, Mercedes C63 AMG and Lexus IS-F. To cope with the extra power, Polestar also upgraded the drivetrain and chasis. A new reinforced six-speed manual replaces the transmission in the standard S60 T6 and the all-wheel-drive system is tweaked. Cornering performance is improved with the help of a set of Ohlins sports suspension, larger anti-roll bar and 19-inch light weight alloy wheels. A set of Brembo brakes with six-piston calipers and 380mm ventilated discs up front and 302mm discs at the rear takes care of the braking work.
The Polestar S60 can blast from standstill to 100 kph in a blistering 3.9 seconds and continue on to an unrestricted top speed of 304 kph. That’s supercar territory!
Although the car remains a concept, Polestar has indicated that the car may eventually make it to production in small volume if demand exists.
Volvo S60 Polestar Performance Concept Specification
- Volvo T6 inline six (B6304T4)
- 508 hp @ 6500rpm
- 575nm @ 5500rpm
- Max rpm: 7100
- Modified cylinder head and combustion chambers
- Modified inlet manifold and air intake
- Reinforced conrods
- Garret turbo 3171
- Ferrita 3.5 “stainless steel exhaust system
- Reinforced M66C (close ratio) 6-speed manual gear box.
- Haldex rear E-LSD
- XWD Haldex Gen4
- Tires 265/30R19
- Rims Polestar 9.5 X19 “
- 30mm lowered chassis
- Ohlins 3 – way adjustable shock absorbers
- Reinforced anti-roll bars front and rear
- Increased track width 20 mm, 40 mm front and rear
- Polestar-tuned steering EHPAS
- Stabilising X-members, front and rear.
- Modified control arms with ball joints, front and rear.
- Reinforced sub-frame bushings and control arms
- Modified engine mounts
- Total weight 1640kg and optimized weight distribution
- Front Brembo 6 piston Polestar calipers, 380 mm ventilated discs
- Polestar Volvo rear calipers, 302 mm ventilated discs
- Front brakes cooling air intake duct
- Lowered front splitter and larger rear spoiler to reduce high speed lift
- Carbon fiber diffuser
- 20 mm wider body front and rear
- Polestar designed seats with increased support. Alcantara on all functional areas including steering wheel, gear knob, and seats to ensure maximum grip.
- Centre console lowered for Optimised gear-lever ergonomics.