The 10th generation Honda Civic has already hit our shores as a sedan and proven itself rather popular with buyers in the small car segment. Honda has just confirmed pricing and a launch window for the hatch variant which is no doubt sure to see similar success after its launch in May.
“With the Honda Civic sedan laying a really strong foundation for our ‘One Civic’ plan during 2016, the arrival of the hatch bodystyle will ensure customers know the Honda Civic is well and truly back in the small car game,” Honda Australia Director, Mr. Stephen Collins said.
“Our target is to win the hearts and minds of private buyers with the all-new Honda Civic, and the sedan has certainly done that, achieving well over 20 per cent segment share since launch. So we expect private customers will put the Honda Civic hatch on their shopping list as well, as it’s an equally strong offering.“
As with the sedan the Civic hatch will also be offered in 5 differing trim variants with the same powertrain configurations.
The VTi-L, RS and VTi-LX variants come equipped with the new 1.5-litre turbocharged engine rated at 127kW / 220Nm while the VTi and VTi-S models are powered by the company’s familiar 1.8-litre engine producing 104kW / 174Nm.
Both engines are paired with “Earth Dreams” continuously variable transmissions (CVT) as standard, with no manual option available.
|Variant||Powertrain||Pricing excluding on-road costs|
|VTi-L||1.5 Turbo CVT||$27,790|
|RS||1.5 Turbo CVT||$32,290|
|VTi-LX||1.5 Turbo CVT||$33,590|
For the most part the pricing remains on parity with the sedans with the exception of the RS which comes with additional exclusive equipment items and a $500 premium over the RS sedan.
“The development of the 10th generation Honda Civic was one of the most ambitious and comprehensive new model programs ever undertaken by Honda Motor Co. Ltd., with significant input from our local operation and dealer network” Mr. Collins said.
“We knew when we launched the Honda Civic sedan that our customers were waiting for a complete rejuvenation of the Civic brand and the early response from prospective Honda Civic hatch customers has been just as positive.
“So with the arrival of the Honda Civic hatch into dealerships over the coming weeks, customers will now have the choice of a sporty and dynamic hatch that is a perfect visual companion to the bold and successful Honda Civic sedan.”
From the B pillar forward the Hatch is the same as the sedan and shares the same wheelbase but move past the B pillar towards the rear and there’s quite a number of changes. A taller roofline makes the most of the hatch dimensions granting additional cargo carrying capacity and the rear overhang has been shortened up making tight parking easier.
Visually all models of the hatch come with an upper hatch spoiler paint matched to the rest of the body, a black lower rear spoiler, piano black front grille and B pillar as well as a sporty interior with dark roof lining.
The RS gains a Type R style twin exhaust system that’s mounted centrally with chrome exhaust outlets, a complete piano black bodykit made up of front under spoiler, side skirts and rear under spoiler as well as chrome finished door handles.
“The new Honda Civic sedan has been acclaimed for its ride, steering and overall quality, and the Honda Civic hatch lifts the bar again with a roomy cargo area, innovative adjustable luggage cover and the expected levels of Honda thoroughness when it comes to engineering, refinement and quality,” Mr. Collins said.
2017 Honda Civic Hatch Line-Up and Specification
- 1.8 litre SOHC VTEC 4-cylinder engine
- 104 kW @ 6500 rpm and 174 Nm @ 4300 rpm
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Electric parking brake with automatic brake hold
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- 16-inch steel wheels
- Electrically adjustable door mirrors
- Halogen projector beam headlights with auto-off timer
- Taillights with Integrated LED Light Bars
- Advanced Display Audio (7-inch colour touchscreen) including:
- Apple CarPlay®
- Android Auto™
- AM/FM radio
- Bluetooth® phone and audio connectivity°
- USB connectivity
- Multi-angle reversing camera with dynamic guidelines
- LCD Driver Information Interface with colour display
- Auto up/down power windows – driver and front passenger
- Black fabric seat trim
- Two speed and intermittent front windscreen wipers
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- Single-zone climate control
- 60:40 split fold rear seats
- 8-speaker audio
- Eco Assist and ECON Mode
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- SRS airbags dual front, side and full-length curtain
- Tyre Deflation Warning System (DWS)
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
- Security alarm
- Hill Start Assist
Additional features over the VTi
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Door mirrors with LED Integrated indicators
- Front halogen fog lights
- Front parking sensors
- Rear parking sensors
- Smart keyless entry with push button start and walk away lock
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Additional features over the VTi-S
- 1.5 litre DOHC VTEC 4-cylinder engine with direct injection
- 127kW @ 5500rpm and 220Nm @ 1700-5500rpm
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Paddle shift gear control
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Electrically retractable door mirrors
- Auto headlights (Dusk sensing)
- Auto front windscreen wipers (Rain sensing)
- Privacy glass (rear)
- Digital radio (DAB)
- Dual-zone auto climate control
- Vanity mirrors with illumination
- Auto up/down windows – all passengers
Additional features over the VTi-L
- LED fog lights
- LED headlights with auto-levelling
- 17-inch alloy sports wheels
- Front and rear under spoilers
- Central twin exhaust
- Piano black side skirts
- Electric sunroof
- Leather-appointed seat trim
- Heated front seats
- Driver’s seat with 8-way power adjustment
- Drilled alloy sports pedals
- 452-watt premium audio system with 10 speakers including subwoofer
Additional features over the RS
- Satellite navigation with SUNA live traffic updates
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Honda Sensing Suite:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF)