Mazda has today unwrapped the MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition at the Chicago Auto Show, which runs from February 7-8. The reveal is auspiciously timed, landing on the anniversary eve of the iconic model’s global debut at the same event on February 9 1989.
After 30 years and with more than 1 million examples sold, the MX-5 is the world’s best-selling roadster. And the 30th Anniversary Edition commemorates this milestone with a message to all the fans worldwide.
“Mazda feels that the MX-5 is no longer its own creation. It belongs to the fans around the world who have supported the development of the model,” reads the press release.
“To express its gratitude, and its high hopes for the future of the MX-5, the company developed Racing Orange, an exclusive body colour that evokes the breaking dawn of an exciting new day.”
In addition to the new colour, the MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition features 19-inch Rays ZE40 RS30 forged alloy wheels developed exclusively for the MX-5 in cooperation with Rays Wheels. and a 30th Anniversary badge that displays the model’s serial number. Sales will be limited to 3,000 units worldwide, including both soft-top and retractable hardtop models.
Australia will receive an allocation of just 30 soft-top models, based on the 2.0L Roadster GT. Local pricing will announced closer to launch.
Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition exclusive features:
- Racing Orange body colour
- RAYS forged alloys wheels (RAYS ZE40 RS30)
- “30th Anniversary” build plate ornament (with serial number)
- Colour scheme with orange accents (brake calipers, vent surround, seat piping and stitch, steering wheel stitching, door trim stitching, dashboard decoration panel stitching, and shift / parking lever stitching)
- Alcantara material (door trim, dashboard decoration panel and seat centre)
- RECARO seats
- Bilstein dampers
- Brembo front brake calipers (orange painted)
- NISSIN rear brake calipers (orange painted)