The fastest and most hardcore Renault Megane ever, the Megane R.S. Trophy-R, is now available for order online to Australian customers, with first deliveries scheduled for early 2020.
While final pricing has yet to be confirmed, Renault Australia has indicated an approximate drive-away price of $70,000 for the hot hatch.
With global numbers extremely limited Australia has secured only 20 Megane R.S. Trophy-R, as well as one Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record version – which will go on sale at a later date via a public auction. Australia will also receive 100 of the limited edition Megane R.S. Trophy’s.
The ultimate track car, the Megane R.S. Trophy-R will come exclusively with the 6-speed Manual gearbox and in one colour – pearl white with red headlights.
Driven by the very limited volume for the super-hot hatch, the online sales portal is the first of its kind for the French manufacturer in Australia and will be available via Renault’s website: www.renault.com.au
The Megane R.S. Trophy (due late 2019) and Megane R.S. Trophy-R (due early 2020) will complete the Megane Renault Sport family in Australia which currently includes: Megane GT, Megane GT Line, Megane R.S. Sport and Megane R.S. Cup Chassis
The new Renault Megane R.S. Trophy-R has the same 200kW/400Nm 1.8-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine as the Trophy version. So the Renault Sport wizards did not focus on power to enhance performance, they looked elsewhere in three main spheres of development:
- Drastic reductions in mass. The quest to reduce weight looked at every detail, from the absence of a rear seat to the adoption of carbon wheel rims (Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record version only), not forgetting the Akrapovič titanium exhaust line. The end result is some 130 kg lighter than the Megane R.S. Trophy without options.
- Completely redesigned suspension. Front axle with increased negative camber, lighter rear H axle, specific adjustable Öhlins shock-absorbers, Bridgestone Potenza S007 tyres exclusive to Renault Sport, and high performance braking with optional Brembo carbon-ceramic discs (Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record version only).
- Aerodynamics improved even further for better support and better circulation of flows (specific underbody fairings and carbon diffuser) and additionally optimised thermal control (NACA air intake and brake scoops).
The effort paid dividends on 5 April, 2019, when the Megane R.S. Trophy-R set a new world record for the front-wheel drive compact car segment of production cars on the Nürburgring, covering the 20.6 km circuit in 7 minutes 40.1 seconds. The lap time is over 3 seconds quicker than that held by the previous record holder, the Honda Civic Type R with a lap time of 7 minutes and 43.8 seconds.
Megane Trophy-R Record version exclusive features:
- Carbon Wheel, developed by Carbon Revolution in Geelong brings an additional weight saving of 2kg per wheel.
- 390 mm carbon-ceramic front brakes, taking up all the available space in a 19’’ wheel.