BMW introduced the 2 Series Gran Coupe earlier this year with a simple two-tier line-up. For the average buyer, there’s the 218i powered by the modest but still lively turbocharged 1.5-litre 3-cylinder petrol engine developing 103kW and 220Nm. The entry-level model is good for a 0-100km/h sprint in a claimed 8.7 seconds.
Keener drivers will want to get into the more potent M235i which packs a turbocharged 2.0-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine rated at 225kW and 450Nm. As the flagship of the range, the all-wheel drive M235i gets to 100km/h in just 4.9 seconds.
Think there’s a bit of a gap between the 218i and M235i? Indeed there is, and BMW has realised that, too.
From Q3 this year, the mid-spec BMW 220i Gran Coupe will join the range, bringing with it a turbocharged 2.0-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine with 141kW and 280Nm. Paired with a 7-speed twin clutch sport transmission, the standard sprint to 100km/h is achieved in a swift 7.2 seconds.
Priced from $53,990 plus on-road costs, the 220i may quite possibly be the sweet spot of the 2 Series Gran Coupe range. It comes with the M Sport Package as standard, plus a host of goodies such as head-up display and sport seats.
When it arrives later this year, the 220i should be a strong contender against rivals Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class and Audi A3 in the compact sports sedan segment.
BMW 220i Gran Coupé specifications
- M Sport Package including M Sport multifunction leather steering wheel
- 2.0-litre 4-cylinder BMW TwinPower Turbo engine with 141kW and 280Nm
- 7-speed double clutch Steptronic Sport transmission with steering wheel mounted shift paddles
- Sport Seats, Cloth/Sensatec upholstery
- BMW Individual headliner in Anthracite
- 18” M Light alloy double spoke wheels, style 819 M Bicolour
- Driving Assistant, incl. Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, Approach control Warning with city-braking intervention, Rear Cross Traffic Warning, Rear Collision Prevention and Speed Limit Information
- BMW Head-Up Display
- Parking Assistant, incl. PDC (front and rear), Rear View Camera, Automatic Parking Assistant and Reversing Assistant
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional including 10.25” instrument cluster, 10.25” BMW operating system 7.0 display and Intelligent Personal Assistant
- Connected Package Professional including Apple CarPlay plus Wireless Charging for
- Through-loading system
- Storage Compartment Package
- Lights Package incl. Ambient interior lighting and exterior BMW Logo projection on driver’s side
- Interior trim finishers ‘Illuminated Boston’
- LED headlights and tail lights, LED fog lights, front
- Stereo speaker system, 6 loudspeakers (100W)
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé line-up
Kerb weight (kg)
1.5-litre three cylinder petrol
2.0-litre four cylinder petrol TwinPower Turbo
2.0-litre four cylinder petrol