The all-new BMW 8 Series Gran Coupé is set for its local debut in Q4 2019 with two variants: the 840i and M850i xDrive.
Priced from $199,900 plus on-road costs, the 840i Gran Coupé is $3,000 cheaper than the 840i Coupé while featuring the same 3.0-litre turbocharged in-line six petrol engine as its two-door counterpart.
It delivers 250kW of power and 500Nm of torque to the rear wheels to enable a century sprint of 5.2 seconds – 0.2 seconds slower than the lighter coupé.
Meanwhile, the 850i lands in Australia from $272,900 plus on-road costs along with a 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine good for 390kW and 750m of torque. Zero to 100km/h is dispatched in a claimed 3.9 seconds.
Both engines are mated with an eight-speed automatic with paddle shifters, while the M850i also receives the xDrive all-wheel drive system with a pronounced rear bias and Adaptive M Suspension Professional with an active anti-roll stabilisation system.
An optional M Carbon Exterior Package brings various M Performance carbon-fibre reinforced plastic accessories such as M carbon Air Curtain, M carbon mirror caps and single-piece carbon finishers around the tailpipes.
With around 20cm of extra wheelbase compared with the Coupé and Convertible, the Gran Coupé not only brings an extra pair of rear doors and seats, but also 440 litres of luggage space that is expandable by dropping the 40/20/40 rear seats.
The centre console extends all the way to the rear to emphasise the division of the rear seats. BMW says a fifth passenger can be accommodated in the middle rear seat on short journeys.
Highlights of standard equipment on the 840i Gran Coupé include:
- M Sport Package
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 728 M Bicolour with run flat tyres
- Eight-speed Steptronic Sport Automatic Transmission
- Adaptive M Suspension
- 374mm M Sport Brakes
- M Sport Differential
- Integral Active Steering
- BMW Carbon Core transmission tunnel
- Soft close doors
- BMW Display Key
- Driving Assistant Professional
- Parking Assistant Plus
- BMW Laserlight
- Panorama Glass Sunroof
- Comfort Access system, including Automatic Tailgate and Digital Key
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional with 12.3-inch digital instrument display
- 10.25-inch Control Display with BMW Operating System 7.0
- Active Seat Ventilation, front seats
- Wireless Smartphone Charging
- M Leather Steering Wheel
- BMW Gesture Control
- BMW Individual Metallic Paintwork
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System, 16 speakers
- BMW Extended Leather ‘Merino’ upholstery
- Electric Roller Sunblinds
- Multifunctional seats for driver and front passenger, including lumbar support
The M850i xDrive brings further specification with the following highlights:
- xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system
- M tuning on selected elements
- Adaptive M Suspension Professional, including Active Roll Stabilisation
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 728 M Cerium Grey with performance tyres
- BMW ‘CraftedClarity’ Glass Application
- BMW Night Vision with Pedestrian Recognition
- 395mm M Sport Brakes
- Tyre Pressure Indicator
BMW 8 Series Gran Coupé pricing (excluding on-road costs):
|840i Gran Coupe||3.0L TwinPower 6-cylinder petrol||250kW/500Nm||5.2 seconds||TBC||TBC||$199,900|
|M850i xDrive Gran Coupe||4.4L twin-turbo 8-cylinder petrol||390kW/750Nm||3.9 seconds||TBC||TBC||$272,900|