BMW Australia has confirmed pricing and specification details for the all-new 2018 BMW X3 mid-size crossover. Available from November 2017, the new X3 range will initially consist of the X3 xDrive20d, X3 xDrive30i and X3 xDrive30d variants. The launch range will be joined by additional models in 2018.
With a modern exterior design by Australian Calvin Luk, the new BMW X3 combines a capable off-road presence with a sleek, modern aesthetic. The X3’s sheetmetal is all-new but strikes a familiar post. Up front, the headlights are now slimmer and look almost like those from the BMW X1, while the corporate grille has grown. The foglamps also feature a hexagonal design for the first time on an X model.
At the back, the light clusters have a three-dimensional look when optioned with the full-LED lights. All variants get twin tailpipes at the back.
New design 19-inch light alloy wheels are fitted as standard to the BMW X3 xDrive20d, fitted with 245/50R19 run-flat tyres.
A new 20-inch light alloy wheel is fitted to the xDrive30i and 30d, shod with mixed run-flat rubber measuring 245/45/20 on the front axle and 275/40/20 at the rear.
The new interior is now classier and more luxurious than before. The cabin is offered with three-zone climate control (optional), ambient lighting, new multi-function steering wheel and door pockets large enough for one-litre bottles.
Boot capacity is now 550 litres, extendable to 1,600 litres with the rear 40:20:40 split backrests folded down via a touch of a button.
The new BMW X3 debuts with three engine configurations. At the entry point is the xDrive20d, powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. It produces 140kW and 400Nm for a 0-100km/h time of 8.0 seconds, with fuel economy rated at 5.7L/100km on the combined cycle.
The X3 xDrive30i gets a higher output 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, producing 185kW and 350Nm. 0-100km/h is achieved in 6.3 seconds, and it consumes 7.6L/100km.
The X3 xDrive30d uses a 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine to generate an impressive 195kW and 620Nm. The top-specification engine at launch, the xDrive30d accelerates to 100km/h in only 5.8 seconds while returning 6.0L/100km combined.
All variants use the latest-generation BMW xDrive all-wheel drive system and eight-speed automatic transmissions that promise strong response and impressive traction in all conditions. This system, which debuted in the 7 Series, combines a lighter and more efficient design with an enhanced response rate. Hill descent control is also standard, allowing for fingertip speed control in low-grip, downhill situations.
BMW X3 pricing (excluding on-road cost):
BMW X3 xDrive20d
BMW X3 xDrive30i
BMW X3 xDrive30d
By model: Performance and efficiency
|BMW X3 xDrive20d|
2-litre 4-cyl turbo diesel
140kW / 400Nm
|BMW X3 xDrive30i|
2-litre 4-cyl turbo petrol
185kW / 350Nm
|BMW X3 xDrive30d|
3-litre 6-cyl turbo diesel
195kW / 620Nm
2018 BMW X3 standard specifications
The new BMW X3 xDrive20d boasts improved specification compared to the out going model. Equipment highlights include:
- xLine exterior trim with matt aluminium design elements
- 19-inch light alloy wheels Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Electric folding exterior mirrors
- Roof rails
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Electric sports front seats trimmed in combination cloth and leather upholstery
- LED Headlights with extended contents
- Full colour Head-Up Display
- Parking Assistant with front and rear park distance control and rear view camera
- Driving Assistant with Lane Departure Warning
- Wireless phone charging
- Navigation system Business with Real-Time Traffic Information and Speed Limit Info
Both the BMW X3 xDrive30i and 30d are matched for specification, with further highlights including:
- 20-inch light alloy wheels
- ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery
- Adaptive LED headlights with high-beam assist
- Comfort Access System
- Eight-speed sports automatic transmission with shift paddles
- Driving Assistant Plus with galvanic embellishers
- Parking Assistant Plus with Surround View
- Multi-function instrument display with 12-inch display
- Navigation system Professional with 10-inch touchscreen