Home / Tuning / Meet the Mazda MX-5 with GM’s 391kW LS3 V8!

Meet the Mazda MX-5 with GM’s 391kW LS3 V8!

v8 powered mazda mx-5 front quarter

We’ve recently seen a Toyota 86 being given a big heart transplant in the form of a Ferrari V8. Now, it’s the Mazda MX-5’s turn.

Thanks to the crazy but talented folks from Flyin’ Miata in the US, the little MX-5 has had its humble 2.0-litre SkyActiv-G engine replaced with the mighty LS3 V8 from General Motors delivering a colossal 391kW of power.

v8 powered mazda mx-5 engine

The same engine, albeit in a different state of tune, is also found in the latest VFII Holden Commodore’s, where it churns out 304kW.

Impressively, the bigger lump at the front “only” contributed to a weight gain of 119kg over the stock model, although 53.4 percent of the weight is now up front, with the remaining 46.6 percent distributed to the back. The MX-5 has a perfect 50:50 weight distribution from the factory.

v8 powered mazda mx-5 exhaust

The V8 engine isn’t the only GM-sourced component that Flyin’ Miata has fitted to the pumped up MX-5, either. It also gains a six-speed T56 Tremec manual transmission (again similar to the one in the Holden Commodore).

That’s not all, the modified roadster features a custom Corvette-styled exhaust and has a number of other optional upgrades, including a carbon fibre driveshaft, bigger brakes, a roll bar and an aluminium oil pan.

v8 powered mazda mx-5 roll bar

The conversion kit is priced from $US49,995 (without the car) for the 320kW 6.2-litre LS3 V8, while the more powerful engine featured here costs an additional $US1,780.

Read ForceGT’s Mazda MX-5 Review here.


  • 430 hp 6.2L LS3 V8 engine with a two year warranty – a 2015 Camaro SS engine
  • 6-speed T56 Magnum transmission with a custom shift lever
  • FM spec Moroso steel oil pan with baffling
  • LS7 clutch and flywheel
  • AAM differential from a 2015 Camaro
  • custom-built dual pass crossflow radiator
  • dual Spal fans on a custom shroud
  • new aluminum driveshaft
  • heavy duty halfshafts
  • stainless steel headers and dual exhaust with a lifetime warranty
  • Magnaflow high-flow dual catalytic converters
  • upgraded fuel system
  • new GM-built engine wiring harness and engine management
  • Flyin’ Miata custom engine dyno tune for more power and improved drivability with our specific parts
  • OE-style motor mounts for good NVH control
  • custom air intake system with hot air baffle
  • rear mount Odyssey battery with kill switch and engine bay jump start terminal
  • Corvette C6 starter
  • fully functional stock gauges
  • FM sway bars front & rear with adjustable end links
  • Flyin’ Miata FOX Racing suspension
  • ABS
  • FM four wheel little big brake kit
  • air conditioning
  • Hydraulic steering conversion
  • relocated washer bottle
  • many custom stainless brackets required for a clean installation
  • Flyin’ Miata alignment

Options and upgrade prices (in US$):

  • LS3 E-Rod engine (better emissions compliance), $640
  • LS376/525 (525 hp, 489 ft-lb), $1780
  • carbon fiber driveshaft, $520
  • aluminum oil pan, $70
  • 6-piston front, 4-piston rear brake upgrade, $725
  • Swain Tech White Lightning ceramic coating for the headers & cat pipes- $925
  • Hot Rod Therapy DBW cruise control- roughly $1000, price TBD
  • wheel and tire packages – please speak to us for recommendations and pricing
  • Hard Dog roll bar – please speak to us for recommendations and pricing.

Source: Flyin’ Miata

You might also like:

Check Also


1st Australian J.D. Power Sales Satisfaction Study ranks Mazda on top

The inaugural J.D. Power Australia Sales Satisfaction Study has released its finding this week, with …