Subaru has unveiled the updated BRZ sports coupe today. Set to arrive in November, the revised BRZ brings a raft of exterior and interior upgrades, matched with sharper handling and more power.
Further enhancing its appeal as an affordable fun favourite for driving enthusiasts, the 2017 Subaru BRZ sports revised front bumper, LED daytime running lights and full LED headlight with C-shaped design that is more in line with the company’s other offerings.
The front fog lights are also LED, while the garnish on the front guard, close to the A-pillar base, is also enhanced with a sportier, more flowing design.
At the rear, updates include full LED rear combination lights and a new boot garnish with a smoother design. Producing a cleaner finish, the number plate light, boot opener switch, rear view camera and key cylinder are relocated to within the garnish.
Wrapping up the exterior tweaks are the redesigned 17-inch alloy wheels which now have twisted spokes, machine-cut highlights and gun-metallic paint.
Inside, the BRZ features new instrument panel and leather texture door panel trim for a more upmarket look. The gauge layout retains the same level of visibility, while the multi-information panel has a more elegant font and sculpted feel.
A new 4.2-inch colour LCD located next to the centrally positioned tachometer conveys a wide range of information including, in real-time, a G-force meter and power and torque curves.
The revised interior features red stitching along all instrument panel seams, consoles and door trims, with the design focused on providing a better texture and feel.
There’s also the sportier steering wheel – its 362mm diameter makes it the smallest ever used in a Subaru – with a cross-sectional shape that is said to provide better grip, manoeuvrability and comfort.
The air conditioning panel surface features the same carbon fibre film inserts as the door switch panels. The shape and design of the control knobs are changed to a shaved metallic style, for enhanced visual appeal.
BRZ’s audio system is upgraded to reflect the standard and format of other new generation Subarus. The six-speaker 6.2-inch Graphic User Interface touchscreen system features Bluetooth connectivity and voice recognition.
For the revamp, engineers have revised engine components including valves, camshafts and cylinder block for the six-speed manual models, lifting maximum power and torque by 3.4 per cent to 152kW and 212Nm. Power output for automatic variants remains at 147 kW and 205Nm.
The 2.0-litre four-cylinder boxer engine’s increased torque peak can be generated over a 200rpm wider range of engine speeds, from 6400 to 6800rpm. The torque curve has also been improved at low rpms.
Among the engine changes:
- Increased cylinder block rigidity
- Greater piston durability
- Buffed and polished valve stems
- Low-friction finish for the camshaft
- Optimized fuel pump drive cam
- Optimized internal shape of rocker arm pivots
- Changed shape of fuel system components
- Changed fuel pressure sensor
- New generation fuel pump
- Changed ECU hardware
- Changed engine harness
For sharper handling, Subaru has also revised the BRZ’s suspension for improved driving stability and ride comfort.
Suspension changes include:
- Optimized friction of front struts and rear shock absorbers, improving the balance between ride comfort and driving stability.
- Changed damping force of front struts and rear shock absorbers, plus changed spring constant of front and rear coil springs, optimising ride comfort and driving stability.
- Changed structure of front struts and rear shock absorbers improves chassis response.
- Added load axle control to front coil springs produces smooth, easy-to-control steering feel.
- Changed wire diameter of rear stabilizers improves turning ability.
- Changed shape of front differential mount stoppers improves vibration and noise suppression.
For track junkies, there’s a new driving mode called “Track” mode which alters the car’s vehicles dynamics control (VDC) system to promote enthusiastic driving on race tracks.
The new Subaru BRZ goes on sale in Australia in the fourth quarter of this year. Full pricing and specification will be announced closer to launch.