Teased in late 2014, Subaru’s special edition Forester tS is finally arriving in showrooms this June. Developed with the help of Subaru’s in-house performance arm, Subaru Technica International (STI), the new top of the range model is based on the Forester XT Premium and retains its 2.0-litre turbocharged direction injection four-cylinder boxer engine but scores a heap of STI bits.
The goodies include Brembo stoppers all-round, STI tower bar at the front, strengthened suspension components, tuned dampers with lowering springs and STI Enkei 19-inch alloy wheels measuring 19 x 7.5.
Setting the STI-tuned Forester apart from its lesser siblings are black front grille with STI badge, red stripe on front grille and rear bumper, front lip spoiler and black-accented door mirror caps and rear roof spoiler.
Carried over from the Subaru WRX, the Forester tS’ 177kW / 350Nm boxer four is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT), allowing the mid size SUV to sprint from 0 to 100km/h in 7.5 seconds.
Subaru Australia Managing Director, Nick Senior, said: “Forester tS is a graphic demonstration of Subaru’s innovation, uniqueness and inspiration. Arguably it is the only true sports SUV under $80,000. And with its rarity and Subaru’s renowned retained value, it is bound to be one of the first collectible SUVs.”
“When we flagged Forester tS late last year, the customer enquiries went through the roof and the end result is we’re already wishing we’d ordered more than 300″, added Mr Senior.
“It’s clear proof of the success of this clever joint development between the Subaru factory and the performance arm, Subaru Tecnica International (STI). While the cars were built in the Subaru factory, they were transferred to STI for final completion and the addition of around 30 items. It certainly gives us great confidence in progressing other joint projects between the factory and STI.”
According the car maker, the Forester tS, which retails for $54,990 plus on-roads, offers $12,000 of extra features for a premium of just $7,000 over the price of the Forester XT Premium.
- Black front grille with STI badge
- Brembo 4pot front brakes
- Brembo 2pot rear brakes
- Cherry Red stripe on front grille and rear bumper
- Crystal Black Silica door mirror covers
- Crystal Black Silica roof spoiler
- Rear subframe bushings
- STI and tS rear badges
- STI Enkei 19-inch alloy wheels 19×7.5J
- STI flexible draw stiffeners front and rear
- STI flexible tower bar – front
- STI front spoiler
- STI front stabiliser bushings
- STI rear subframe support
- STI tuned coil springs – Cherry Red – 15mm lower
- STI tuned dampers (front inverted)
- Black roof liner and trimmings
- Centre console lid with red stitching
- Combination instrument gauge with STI logo
- CVT gear knob with STI logo
- Door trims with suede, red stitch and black grip
- Leather and suede trim seats with red accents; red stitch – front with black STI embroidery
- Leather trim steering wheel with STI logo
- Multi-Function Display visor with cover and black stitch
- Heater control panel with red coloured rings
- STI red push button start