The plug-in hybrid BMW 740e iPerformance has been confirmed for Australia. Set to make its debut later this year, the luxury hybrid sedan is the 3rd variant to come under the iPerformance banner in this country, following on the footsteps of the X5 xDrive40e and 330e sedan.
Priced from $229,000, the 740e is just $4,845 more than the 740i, which it shares its specifications with.
At the heart of the 740e is a sophisticated hybrid system, incorporating a 190kW/400Nm 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with an 83kW/250Nm synchronous electric motor.
The combined system output is a healthy 240kW and 500Nm of torque, while consuming a claimed combined fuel consumption of 2.2L/100km and emitting 50g/km of CO2. 0-100km/h is achieved in 5.4 seconds – 0.1 seconds quicker than the 740i.
The liquid-cooled electric motor is integrated into the car’s eight-speed automatic transmission where they transfer power to the rear wheels. BMW claims the 740e is capable of driving up to 48km in pure electric mode.
The high-voltage lithium-ion battery has a 9.2kWh capacity (with 7.4kWh usable) and is liquid-cooled. It is stored beneath the rear seats to maximise cabin and luggage space, which is rated at 420 litres.
Specific to the hybrid model is the default Auto eDrive mode, which melds electric and petrol propulsion, depending on vehicle load, battery charge and prevailing conditions. The 740e can be driven on pure electric at speeds of up to 140km/h.
The car can be fully charged in around 5 hours using a standard household 230-volt power supply. This reduces to 2.5 hours when the optional BMW i Wallbox is installed.
BMW also provides a ChargeNow service incorporating a ChargeNow card that grants access to partnered public charging stations.
Equipment highlights include:
- 19-inch light-alloy Wheels
- BMW Display Key
- BMW Touch Command
- Lane Change Warning with Steering Assist
- Exterior Design Pure Excellence
- 16-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system (16 speakers)
- Heat comfort package, front (heated seats for driver and front passenger, heated armrests for centre console, driver and front passenger doors and steering wheel heating)
- Instrument panel finished in leather
- Interior Design Pure Excellence
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Professional Navigation with Gesture Control
- Side Blinds, electric
- M Sport package (no-cost option)
- Further standard specification
- Adaptive 2-axle air suspension
- Adaptive LED Headlights with BMW Selective Beam
- Eight-speed Sports automatic transmission with Steptronic
- Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode (including ADAPTIVE mode)
- Servotronic steering
- Intelligent Emergency Call
- Remote Services
- Real Time Traffic Information
- Concierge Services
- Active seat ventilation, front
- Active Park Distance Control, front and rear
- Comfort Access System, including contactless opening/closing of rear tailgate
- Comfort seats for driver and front passenger including lumbar support
- Digital Radio DAB+
- Driving Assistant Plus (Lane Change and Lane Departure Warning, Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Forward Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with light city braking function, Crossing-traffic Warning (front and rear), Rear Collision prevention and Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go function)
- Head Up Display
- Parking Assistant
- Rear View Camera
- Soft-close function for doors
- Sport leather steering wheel with Gearshift Paddles
- Sunblinds, rear and rear side electric
- Surround View with 360 degree function and panorama view
- Voice control
- Glass Sunroof
Additionally the 740e iPerformance gains the following hybrid-specific equipment:
- Eight-speed Steptronic automatic transmission (replacing sports automatic transmission)
- Acoustic Protection for Pedestrians
- BMW ConnectedDrive eDrive Services
- Six-year/100,000km High Voltage Battery warranty
- Charging cable
Options include the Rear Seat Indulgence Package, which adds:
- Active seat ventilation, rear
- Comfort seats, rear with electrical adjustability of two outside rear seats to a 42.5-degree tilt angle
- Heat Comfort package, rear
- Massage function for rear seat passengers
- Rear Entertainment Experience, with two tiltable independent 10-inch screens and Blue-Ray drive
- TV function with digital reception