The latest iteration of the ever popular Fiat 500 has arrived down under, with a new look and a complete technological overhaul.
Fiat claims the new 500 has undergone almost 1,800 changes from the previous model, with major interior technology updates and a revised exterior style marking the latest evolution.
Most notable interior change was the standardization of the Uconnect system. The infotainment system features a five-inch touchscreen and is placed dead center of the dash, for easy access by both the driver and passenger. According to Fiat, the unit is easy to read and also intuitive to use. For added safety Fiat have made the unit controllable via voice commands and the audio controls which have been conveniently placed on the steering wheel. To unit is further complemented with Bluetooth streaming, USB, Aux-in and DAB+ digital radio. The premium ‘Lounge’ model comes equipped with a larger seven-inch display and navigation.
The front of the vehicle still resembles its predecessors, however the headlights have been slightly redesigned to include Fiats polyellptical modules, which supposedly improves night vision and safety. The bonnet design is also carried through from the previous generation, however the nose does have more pronounced ribbing.
The rear has undergone a fair transformation with Fiat’s new ’empty’ tail-light cluster as the center piece. The cluster is comprised of a ring shaped structure and an empty body-colored centre. The rear has also been revised with the fog and reversing light relocated to the edges of the bumper. The relocation aims to improve safety by separating illumination sources.
The Fiat 500 Pop comes equipped with a 1.2-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine, producing 51kW and 102Nm, and can be paired with either a five-speed manual or five-speed Dualogic transmission. Fiat claims a low 4.8 L/100km economy score for the auto and 4.9 in manual.
Alternatively, the Lounge variant comes with a slightly bigger 1.4-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine, producing 74kW and 131Nm and is offered in a six-speed manual or the five-speed Dualogic transmission.
Australians will be able to purchase the 500 in either a Pop or Lounge trim levels, both will be available as hatchback or convertible.
Starting price for the Pop is $18,000 and $21,000 for the Lounge (excluding on-road costs). Fiat Australia has introduced an introductory $1000 drive-away offer redeemable on all Fiat 500 models, meaning the Pop costs $19,000 and the Lounge $22,000 drive-away.
A complete feature list is available below.
Fiat 500 and 500c Pop
• ‘Chevron’ two-tone cloth seat upholstery
• Height-adjustable front head restraints
• Height-adjustable steering wheel
• Leather wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
• Manual climate control
• Split rear seat (50/50)
• Trip computer
• 15-inch alloys in glossy silver
• Body-coloured bumpers
• Body-coloured exterior mirrors
• Central locking
• Chrome-plated exterior door handles
• Electric windows
• Fuel filler cap with key
• Power adjustable, heated exterior mirrors
• Rear window wiper/washer and heated rear window (Hatchback only)
• Uconnect 5-inch touchscreen radio (Dual Tuner/USB/AUX)
• Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB+)
• Voice command with Bluetooth
Safety & Security
• Daytime running lights with LED technology
• Driver and passenger airbag
• ESP + ASR/MSR, HBA and Hill Holder
• Front seat belts with pretensioners, load limiter and fastening sensor
• Hazard light activation (4 indicators) during emergency braking
• Headlight alignment corrector
• Isofix attachments for children on rear seat
• Knee airbag
• Side airbags
• Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
• Window airbags
Fiat 500 and 500c Lounge
In addition to the above Pop features:
• 7-inch TFT instrument cluster display
• Height-adjustable driver seat
• Premium seat upholstery with check design
• 15-inch alloys in glossy silver
• Chrome front grille surround
• Chrome rear bumper insert
• Chrome sill plates
• Chrome window details
• Rear parking sensors
• Fixed glass sunroof (hardtop only)
• Uconnect 5-inch touchscreen radio NAV (Dual Tuner/USB/AUX)
• Satellite navigation