Mitsubishi’s all capable Triton-based Pajero Sport full-size SUV joins the increasingly popular segment this month with a three-model lineup.
Replacing the Challenger, the Pajero Sport is available in GLX, GLS and Exceed trim levels with price ranging from $45,000 to $52,750 plus on-roads.
Mitsubishi’s new off-road terrain control and Super Select II all-wheel drive systems will be fitted to every new Pajero Sport, along with rear view camera, reversing sensors, seven SRS airbags, Emergency Stop Signal (ESS), Hill Descent Control, Hill Start Assist and Trailer Stability Assist systems.
The range-topping Pajero Sport Exceed will feature the latest in advanced safety systems, with multi around monitor, blind spot warning, forward collision mitigation and Ultrasonic misacceleration Mitigation System among its standard equipment.
Powering the Pajero Sport is a new 2.4-litre turbo diesel engine carried over from the Triton and produces 133kW and 430Nm. The engine is paired with Mitsubishi’s first 8-speed automatic transmission, enabling official fuel consumption of 8.0L/100km.
The new model features Mitsubishi’s new Dynamic Shield front fascia that first made its debut on the facelifted Mitsubishi Outlander. Inside, a high console proportion dashboard with dynamically styled silver-finish ornamentation and plush sculpted seats make it the most luxurious Challenger to date.
Mitsubishi says the third-generation Challenger offers rugged luxury, sophisticated technology and genuine four-wheel drive performance.
Handling, stability, ride and quietness have all been claimed to be improved through optimisation of the suspension and improvements to the body mounts. The use of upgraded sound insulation and a new diesel engine is said to provide a significant reduction in interior noise.
2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Pricing and Specification
Pajero Sport GLX $45,000
Pajero Sport GLS $48,500
Pajero Sport Exceed $52,750
- Dynamic shield styling
- 18” alloy wheels with 265/60R18 tyres
- LED headlamps, DRLs and rear combination lamps
- 2.4-litre MIVEC diesel engine
- Emissions Standard: Euro 5
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Super Select II 4WD system
- Off-road Terrain Control System
- Hill Descent Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Trailer Stability Assist
- Emergency Stop Signal
- Electric park brake
- Speed sensing auto door locking
- Keyless entry, push button start
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- Auto A/C
- Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA)
- Digital radio (DAB)
- Rear view camera
- Reversing sensors
GLS (over and above GLX):
- Differential lock
- Dusk sensing headlamps
- Rain sensing wipers
- Electrochromatic rear view mirror
- Dual zone A/C
- Leather interior trim
Exceed (over and above GLS):
- Multi around Monitor System
- Blind Spot Warning
- Forward Collision Mitigation
- Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation System
- Heated front seats with power adjustment
- 8-speaker audio
- Rear seat entertainment system (DVD)