Honda has launched the all-new Accord Sport Hybrid in Australia. The new petrol-electric addition to the Accord range bows in at $58,990 plus on-roads and is the first of a new generation of hybrid powertrains from the brand’s Earth Dreams Technology series.
“The Accord Sport Hybrid is the first vehicle in Australia that features our all-new hybrid powertrain,” said Stephen Collins, Honda Australia Director. “Honda’s advanced technology delivers exceptional performance with outstanding fuel economy, ensuring our customers can have the best of both worlds.”
“The Accord Sport Hybrid further demonstrates Honda’s commitment to petrol-electric hybrid powertrains as a critical technology for reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions,” said Collins.
The Accord Sport Hybrid’s new powertrain, called i-MMD (intelligent Multi-Mode Drive) combines a newly-developed 2.0-litre petrol engine dedicated to hybrid vehicles, an electric CVT coupled with two built-in motors, lock-up clutch and high efficiency lithium-ion battery. The powertrain can switch between three drive modes: electric, hybrid (engine and motors) and engine.
Efficiency is further improved through regenerative braking and the use of an all-aluminium front subframe, which replaces the steel-and-aluminium subframe used in the conventional Accord. An aluminium rear bumper beam helps offset the additional weight of the rear-mounted battery pack while also improving front-to-rear weight balance.
Combined, the petrol-electric powertrain develops 146kW and 307Nm. Driving through the front wheels, the hybrid Accord averages 4.6L/100km in fuel consumption.
As the new top spec model in the range, the hybrid Accord is comprehensively equipped with 18-inch alloy wheels, sunroof, keyless entry, leather upholstery, satellite navigation, LED daytime running lights and the full suite of Honda’s Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS).
Honda Accord Sport Hybrid specification
- 2.0 litre DOHC four cylinder engine that works with the two-motor hybrid system to deliver combined power of 146kW and 307Nm of torque
- Fuel consumption of 4.6 litres per 100 km and 107 grams of CO2 per km
- 18 inch alloy wheels
- Acoustic Alert System
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Active Cornering Lights
- Electric sunroof
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- Rain-sensing auto front wipers
- Keyless entry with push button start
- Eco Assist
- Leather-appointed seats
- Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity
- In-built satellite navigation system
- Honda’s LaneWatch blind spot monitoring system
- Multi-angle reversing camera
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)