The Citroën C4 Cactus is now officially on sale bringing a bubbly fresh style with it. Despite the market being heavily saturated with small SUV’s, Citroën considers their Cactus to be the “real alternative to conventional compact hatchbacks”. The automaker believes their compact hatch can and will break through the masses to become a serious competitor.
The new Cactus range consists of a PureTech petrol manual and a semi-automatic diesel variant starting at $26,990 and $29,990 respectively (plus on-roads).
The turbocharged PureTech petrol variant is an efficient 1.2-litre three-cylinder engine paired to a five-speed manual transmission. It outputs a peak of 81kW and 205Nm of torque. The alternative is a 1.6-litre, 3-cylinder turbo diesel paired to a six-speed semi-automatic transmission. It generates 68kW and 230Nm of torque.
Atop of the drivetrains on offer, Citroën has an extensive list of personalisation options available. Options include colored Airbumps, colored roof racks, colored door mirrors, a choice in wheels, customised interior and a range of exterior colors.
An interesting design element is the automaker’s Airbump innovation. Airbump doubles as a design enhancement as well as body and paint protection. The small air pockets protect the vehicle against doors being slammed against it or perhaps a stray trolley impacting. This is a first in the automotive world with Citroën aiming to set a trend with other automakers.
Standard equipment across the petrol and diesel models include:
- 7” Touch Screen with eMyWay Satellite Navigation;
- Reverse camera with rear parking sonar;
- DAB+ Digital Radio with 6 Speakers and ARKAMYS Digital Amplifier;
- Bluetooth connectivity and USB input;
- Automatic Lights & Wipers with Magic Wash;
- Climate control air conditioning;
- Cruise Control & Speed Limiter with Favourite Speed Memory;
- Cornering Fog Lights;
- 17” Bi-tone Cross alloy wheels with 15” Steel spare tyre;
- Tyre pressure monitors;
- Electronic assistants (ABS/EBD/EBA/ESC/HSA);
- Six airbags (front driver, roof passenger, front sides & two curtain);
- Bi-tone leather steering wheel with chrome insert & controls;
- Height adjustable driver’s seat;
- Electric front windows and pop out (6cm) rear windows;
- Electronically adjustable mirrors;
- PLIP with central locking;
- Seatbelt unfastening warning on all seats;
- Piano black roof bars, mirrors, blank rear insert & rear spoiler surround;
- Centre console and armrest with storage;
- Ventilated disc brakes front and drum brakes rear;
- Top box 8.5L storage compartment;
- Black Airbump;
- 12-volt socket and cup holder in cabin;
- Front sun visors with driver’s courtesy mirror;
- 60/40 split rear seats;
- Guide-me-home lighting, selective unlocking and auto rear wiper in reverse;
- LED Courtesy and Map Lights.
Diesel models will feature the following over the petrol:
- “Easy Push” Gear Selector and paddle shifters on steering wheel
- Aircraft-style manual handbrake
- Bench seat with armrest.
General Manager for Citroën Australia, John Startari, said “the generous levels of specification and unique nature of the Cactus will prove a compelling package for Australians looking to stand apart from the crowd.”
Prospective owners can rest well knowing their vehicle is backed with a 6-year warranty and capped-price servicing.
With all the included features and reasonable pricing, the Citroën C4 Cactus should perform well in the market.