Hyundai’s new ix35 replacement has arrived in Australia. Adopting its global nameplate, the Hyundai Tucson was first unveiled in February this year and is set to become Hyundai Australia’s second-biggest seller after the i30 hatch.
Pricing for the new mid-size SUV starts from $27,990 for the entry-level 2.0-litre petrol 2WD, with the range capped off by the top-spec Highlander diesel AWD at $45,490. The line-up now expands to four variant to include the lower midrange ActiveX model, enhanced with equipment such as 18-inch alloy wheels and leather-appointed interior.
In a first for Hyundai, the multimedia systems in the Tucson Active and new ActiveX model support Apple CarPlay (from September), with Android Auto support to follow from early 2016.
Unlike the current ix35, the new Tuscon adopts the strong proportions and profile of an SUV, with the front dominated by Hyundai’s hexagonal grille, which connects with the LED headlamps. Along the sides, the directional shape of the wheel arches gives the car a dynamic as well as muscular stance.
At the back, the streamlined tail lamps complements the horizontal lines to visually stretch the car for a wide stance.
Inside, the all-new Tucson also offers progressive new design themes and substantially more cabin space. Hyundai says the Tuscon’s cabin now incorporates new soft-touch, high-quality materials across all surfaces, and is more ergonomic than before.
Available with front-wheel or all-wheel drive, the Hyundai Tucson offers a choice of four petrol and diesel engines paired with three transmissions types.
Elite and Highlander models adopt a re-tuned version of Hyundai’s 1.6-litre Turbo petrol powerplant – the same engine shared with the Veloster SR Turbo.
The 1.6T engine is matched exclusively with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission (DCT).
The Tucson has also undergone extensive local testing by Hyundai Australia’s chassis development team to optimise the SUV for local roads and driving taste.
2016 Hyundai Tucson Pricing and specification (excluding on-roads)
|2.0 MPi 2WD||6 Speed Manual||$27,990||–||–||–|
|6 Speed Auto||$30,490||–||$35,240||–|
|2.0 GDi 2WD||6 Speed Manual||–||$30,490||–||–|
|6 Speed Auto||–||$32,990||–||–|
|1.6 T-GDi AWD||7 Speed DCT||–||–||$38,240||$43,490|
|2.0 CRDi AWD||6 Speed Auto||–||–||$40,240||$45,490|
2016 Hyundai Tucson Specification Overview
Specifications to be confirmed closer to Active variant on-sale date in early 4th quarter 2015
ActiveX (key specifications above Active variant):
- 18” alloy wheels with 225/55R18 tyres
- 6 airbags (driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side (thorax), full length curtains)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Rear view camera with dynamic guidelines
- Rear parking assist system (4 sensors) with guidance
- LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
- Projector beam headlamps with escort and welcome function
- Automatic dusk sensing headlamps
- Front Fog Lamps
- Leather appointed* seats
- Premium steering wheel & gear knob
- 7” touchscreen audio w/ MP3 capability, 6 speakers, & works with Apple CarPlay (September) & Android Auto (early 2016)
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- Electric folding / heated side mirrors
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Roof Rails
Elite (key specifications above Active variant):
- 17” alloy wheels with 225/60R17 tyres
- Trailer Stability Assist (TSA)
- LED headlamps with static bending lamps
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (10 way incl. lumbar)
- Electronic Park-Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold function
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning with auto defog function
- Proximity smart key with push button start
- 8” touchscreen satellite navigation with 3 year map update plan
- Smart Tailgate function (hands-free power tailgate)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Solar glass with Privacy
- LED side repeater integrated into side mirrors
- Steering wheel mounted phone controls
Key specifications below ActiveX:
- Cloth seats instead of Leather appointed* seats
- 17” alloy wheels instead of 18” alloy wheels
- No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto capability
- No Matte grey effect insert on side garnish
Premium (key specifications above Elite variant):
- 19” alloy wheels with 245/45R19 with Continental ContiSportContact5
- Front parking assist system (4 sensors) with guidance
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) High line system
- LED tail lamps with bulb turn signal & reverse lights
- Electrically adjusted front passenger’s seat (6 way incl. lumbar)
- Leather appointed* seats
- Heated & air ventilated front seats
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) incorporating Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Twin tip trapezoidal exhaust
- 4.2” TFT LCD colour display in Supervision cluster