The 2016 Audi A4 range has now expanded to include the A4 Avant wagon for those seeking further versatility. Priced from $63,900 plus on-roads, the A4 Avant offers up to 80 litres of additional cargo space compared to its forebear, accommodating 505 litres worth of luggage, or 1510 litres with the rear seats folded.
All new A4 Avant models come standard with an electric tailgate, activated by a sensor-controlled ‘kick motion’, as well as an electric sliding luggage cover.
A pair of TFSI petrol drivetrain options are available for the new A4 Avant, both teamed with the 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission as standard.
The new high-compression 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers 149kW between 4200 and 6000rpm, and 320Nm of torque from 1450 to 4200rpm. Driving the front wheels, the 2.0 TFSI sport sprints from rest to 100km/h in 7.5 seconds. Combined fuel consumption figure is rated at 5.6L/100km.
The higher output version of the same engine in the 2.0 TFSI sport quattro serves up 185kW between 5000 and 6000rpm, and 370Nm of torque from 1600 to 4500rpm. Paired with Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive system, 0-100km/h is despatched in just 6 seconds flat, while rated average fuel consumption figure is 6.6L/100km.
Lightweight technology is a clear focus in the all-new A4, resulting in a weight saving of 70kg. In addition, changes to the new A4’s suspension architecture promises improved driving dynamics, culminating in the introduction of a five-link rear suspension arrangement. Two different types of adaptive suspension are optionally available across the A4 range: comfort and sport. Customers can option either for the same cost: $1,700, or $1,100 for the quattro models.
In addition to Audi Connect, and its integrated Google Earth navigation capability, the A4 Avant debuts the optional integrated Audi tablet, which allows rear passengers to use the specially developed Android- or Apple-compatible device to watch movies or play games. It is also fully integrated into the car’s infotainment system, so it even possible to ‘send’ a navigation destinations to the driver for one-touch approval.
2016 Audi A4 Avant pricing and specification
2.0 TFSI sport
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights with adaptive function and dynamic rear indicators
- MMI Navigation plus with 8.3-inch screen, MMI touch, DVD player, 10GB music storage, live traffic and 5 included map updates
- Audi connect
- Audi Smartphone interface (Apple Carplay and Android Auto)
- 7.0-inch high-resolution colour Driver Information Screen
- Sport front seats including electric front seats with electric lumbar support
- Sport steering wheel with shift paddles, leather-appointed seats
- 3-zone climate control, deluxe automatic air-conditioning with rear display
- New Audi Music Interface, with 2 USB connectors
- DAB+ digital radio
- Convenience key with hands-free opening and closing for tailgate
- Auto dimming centre mirror
2.0 TFSI quattro sport (in addition to 2.0 TFSI sport)
- 19-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels
- Sport suspension
- Audi sound system (180w, 10 speakers, with subwoofer)
- Memory driver’s seat
- Folding exterior mirrors, with heating, dimming and memory functions
In addition to the above standard equipment, the following packages are available:
Technik Package – $2,100
- Virtual cockpit
- Heads-up display (HUD)
S line sport package – $5,000 (2.0 TFSI), $3,200 (2.0 TFSI quattro)
- 19-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels
- S line exterior package
- S line interior detailing
- Black headlining
- Sport suspension (where not already standard)
- Leather/Alcantara upholstery
- Flat-bottom steering wheel
- Additional colour/trim options
Pricing (excluding on-roads)
- A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S tronic 140kW – $63,900
- A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 185kW – $72,900