The Ford Escape will return to Australia in 2017 to replace the Ford Kuga with a lower starting price and more efficient powertrain.
The Escape is essentially a face-lifted Kuga with the following key changes over the Ford Kuga:
- Refreshed design inside and out for a distinctive look.
- Improved specification including paddle-shifters on auto Escape, building on the fun-to-drive ethos.
- Improved fuel economy for 2.0-litre models thanks to automatic start/stop as standard, reducing running costs.
- New FWD 1.5-litre Escape Trend fills the gap in Ford’s line-up, providing a variant that almost one-third of customers in this segment choose.
- Sharper starting price of $28,490 plus on-road costs.
Outside, the Escape sports similar design language with other Ford SUVs, including a large upper trapezoidal two-bar grille and a smaller lower grille flanked by new headlamps incorporating Daytime Running Lights.
At the back, the taillights have also been updated, while a new range of 18- and 19-inch alloy wheel designs will appear on the Trend and Titanium models. Two new colours – White Platinum (tri-coat) and Copper Pulse – will also be introduced.
Inside, the interior boasts a new steering wheel and designed dash with fewer buttons, along with an 8-inch SYNC 3 infotainment system that comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. All automatic Escape models will feature paddle-shifters that enable drivers to manually select gears.
The handbrake is now electronic while the second-row stadium seating boasts family-friendly packaging, with rear tray tables on the Titanium, as well as ISOFIX anchorage-points and rear air-vents on all models.
Driver assist technologies include Ford’s Adaptive Front Lighting System, Active City Stop (which now operates at speeds of up to 50km/h, up from 30km/h), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Automatic Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning and Brake Support and a Driver Alert System.
The New Ford Escape: model-by-model
New Ford Escape Ambiente (Excl. on-roads)
1.5L FWD 6-speed manual $28,490
1.5L FWD 6-speed automatic $29,990
1.5L AWD 6-speed automatic $32,990
- SYNC 3 with 8.0-inch capacitive touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Embedded satellite-navigation with Traffic Management Control (TMC)
- Dual-zone climate control with rear air vents
- AM/FM/DAB+ radio, six-speaker audio with USB input, Bluetooth streaming
- Reverse Camera and rear parking sensors
- Cruise Control with speed limiter
- Daytime running-lights
- Push-button start
- Front and rear fog-lamps
- Electronic Parking Brake
- SYNC Emergency Assist
- Ford MyKey
New Ford Escape Trend (Excl. on-roads)
1.5L EcoBoost FWD 6-speed automatic $32,990
2.0L EcoBoost AWD 6-speed automatic $35,990
2.0L TDCi AWD 6-speed automatic $38,490
As per Ambiente, plus:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Roof-rails in silver finish
- Privacy Glass
- Automatic rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- Automatic-dimming rear-vision mirror
- Automatic on/off headlights
- Follow-me home lighting
- Leather-wrap gear lever
New Ford Escape Titanium (Excl. on-roads)
2.0L EcoBoost AWD 6-speed automatic $44,990
2.0L TDCi AWD 6-speed automatic $47,490
As per Trend, plus:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Smart Keyless Entry
- Power folding mirrors with approach light Bi-Xenon HID headlights with auto levelling
- LED Daytime-running lights
- Adaptive Beam Shape and Dynamic bending headlights
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front-seating
- 10-way power-adjustable Driver’s seat
- Front parking sensors
- Enhanced Active Park Assist
- Panoramic glass roof
- Front and rear velour floor mats
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Multi-colour ambient lighting
- LED taillights
- Nine-speaker audio
New Ford Escape: powertrains
1.5L (six-speed manual)
Towing capacity: 1500(FWD); 1600kg (AWD)
1.5L (six-speed paddle-shift automatic)
Towing capacity: 1500kg (FWD); 1600kg (AWD)
2.0L (six-speed paddle-shift automatic)
Towing capacity: 1600kg
2.0L Diesel (six-speed paddle-shift automatic)
Towing capacity: 1800kg