The 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition has arrived in Australia, priced from $53,700 plus on-road costs.
Just 150 units of the iconic model will arrive in local showrooms, each with its own unique serial number plate, from AU0001 to AU0150.
As a fitting farewell, Mitsubishi has also boost the Lancer Evolution Final Edition power to 226kW at 6,500rpm and 414Nm of torque at 3,500rpm – an increase of 9kW and 48Nm.
This has been achieved in part through the application of sodium filled exhaust valves which increases cooling efficiency, allowing the engine to generate an even higher output and improving engine performance across both middle and high rev and torque ranges.
Based on a design that powered Finnish racing legend Tommi Mäkinen to four straight titles in the gruelling World Rally Championship (WRC), the turbo-charged and inter-cooled 2.0-litre DOHC four-cylinder engine is said to deliver instantaneous power and torque.
Consisting of a structurally reinforced cast-aluminium block, aluminium cylinder head and fitted with the latest edition of Mitsubishi Motors’ MIVEC variable valve-timing system, this engine’s architecture features a square design with both its bore and stroke measure an equal 86.0mm with a compression ratio of 9.0:1.
Previously used in the highly successful Lancer Evolution VII, VIII and IX engines, the cylinder head valves are sodium-filled. The valves are hollowed out and then filled with specially formulated sodium. This achieves a weight reduction and improved heat dispersion compared to standard valves.
Mitsubishi has also tweaked the car’s exhaust note with a free-flowing dual exhaust. The stainless steel exhaust manifold and turbocharger are located at the rear of the transversely-mounted engine and close to the firewall which helps to improve weight distribution.
The Lancer Evolution Final Edition comes standard with a short-throw, 5-speed manual transmission.
Performance is further enhanced by the use of world leading motorsport suppliers including light weight two-piece Brembo brake rotors up front, accompanied by Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs at all four corners.
The Lancer Evolution X’s still sophisticated Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system has been carried over to the Final Edition.
The S-AWC system allows the driver to choose between three selectable traction mode settings – tarmac, gravel and snow providing maximum tractability and performance in all weather and road conditions.
The S-AWC system is also complemented by the Active Yaw Control (AYC), Active Stability Control (ASC) and Sport Anti-lock Braking (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Limited Slip Differential to deliver a remarkable level of traction and agility.
The Lancer Evolution Final Edition’s suspension features inverted McPherson struts up front, using Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs. Front suspension also includes a stabiliser bar and aluminium control arms. The Brembo brakes are lightweight with two-piece rotors.
Rear suspension is an independent multi-link low mount design with stabiliser bar with Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs.
Outside, the Final Edition can be distinguished via new 18-inch BBS satin platinum alloy wheels with gold centre wheel ornament, gloss black bonnet air outlets and front bumper centre, radiator grille with dark chrome surround and black painted roof.
Inside, the Final Edition model gets leather steering wheel, park brake, shift knob with contrasting red stitching, black headlining, black pillars, leather look floor console with red stitching and ‘Final Edition’ carpet mats.
The car’s Recara seats are also upholstered in partial leather with red contrast stitching. Elsewhere, the colour multi-information display features a ‘Final Edition’ greeting on start up.
The Lancer Evolution Final Edition comes in Starlight White, Tungsten Grey and Red with contrasting black roof, and Phantom Black with a contrasting gloss black roof.
2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition features:
- Turbo-charged and inter-cooled 2.0-litre MIVEC DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder
- Increase in engine power and torque
- Power – 217kW increased to 226kW
- Torque – 366Nm increased to 414Nm
- Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs
- Brembo 2-piece front rotors
- ‘Final Edition’ badge
- Unique two tone colour range with black painted exterior roof
- Gloss black centre bumper and bonnet air outlets
- Dark chrome front grille surround
- 18-inch BBS satin platinum alloy wheels with gold centre wheel ornament
- Unique serial number plate – AU0001 – AU0150
- Recaro partial leather performance seats with contrast red stitching
- Leather steering wheel with contrasting red stitching
- Leather park brake and shift knob with red stitching
- Leather look floor console with red stitching
- Black pillars and headlining
- ‘Final Edition’ carpet mats
- Colour multi-information display with ‘Final Edition’ animation on start up
- Rear view camera
- Advanced seven airbag SRS system including driver’s side knee airbag, dual-stage front airbags with occupant seat position sensors, front seat mounted side-impact airbags and front and rear curtain side airbags
- Sport anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) and Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Engine immobiliser anti-theft security alarm system
- Mitsubishi Motors’ patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) safety cell body construction