The new 2015 Discovery Sport will go on sale in May in Australia, priced from $53,300 excluding on-roads for the TD4 SE Manual.
The Discovery Sport is the first member of the new Discovery vehicle family and comes with seven seats in a “5+2” configuration. Land Rover says the premium SUV will deliver a highly refine combination of performance, safety and efficiency, thanks to a body shell made of high-strength steel and lightweight aluminium.
“The Discovery Sport is the perfect vehicle for the Australian terrain and climate,” said Michael Winkler Jaguar Land Rover Australia Managing Director.
“Not only is it capable and luxurious, its price point makes it available to even more Australians who want to enter the compact premium SUV market.”
Both 9-speed automatic and 6-speed manual transmissions are available in the two versions of 2.2-litre diesel models (TD4 110kW and SD4 140kW) producing 420Nm of torque. The Si4 177kW 2.0-litre petrol engine is fitted with the 9-speed automatic transmission as standard and all powertrains are four-wheel-drive.
Land Rover’s Autonomous Emergency Braking, Pedestrian Airbag and a new touchscreen infotainment system will also make its debut on the Discovery Sport.
Designed and engineered at the Land Rover Development Centre in the UK, the Discovery Sport will be produced at the company’s award-winning manufacturing facility in Halewood, Liverpool, in the United Kingdom. It goes on sale in May 2015 alongside the existing Land Rover Discovery in Australia, which is sold in over 170 markets worldwide.
The Land Rover Discovery Sport will offer a comprehensive range of personalisation options, including:
- Black Pack: a gloss-black grille, door mirror caps, front fender vents, hood and tailgate lettering and a choice of 19- or 20-inch alloy wheel designs
- Contrast roof in Santorini Black or Corris Grey that extends to the base of the A-pillars
- A range of seven distinctive alloy wheel designs – including the striking Aero Viper – is available with a selection of Silver or Gloss Black finish, depending on wheel design
- Front and rear undershields, together with tubular stainless-steel side steps with a highly polished finish, underscore the vehicle’s all-terrain capability. Noble-silver painted door-mirror caps complement the look
- Full panoramic roof with a dark tint and a special surface treatment for solar protection makes the cabin feel even more spacious. A power-retracting shade offers additional sun shielding
- Available accessory luggage compartment rails create a highly configurable luggage area, and can be specified in conjunction with a Retention Kit featuring a telescopic crossbeam and retractable band to secure loose items
Also available as dealer accessories:
- Headrest-mounted iPad® holders for rear-seat passengers feature quick-release for added security
- A centre armrest cooler/warmer box finished in premium leather provides convenient storage for food and drinks and maintains items at a desired temperature
- A full range of rubber mats and liners help to protect carpets and the luggage compartment from mud and wear-and-tear under heavy use
- A range of towing features, available as accessories, includes a detachable towing system and fixed-height tow bar
- At the core of the new Land Rover Discovery Sport is the outstanding capability that’s been the hallmark of the company’s vehicles for nearly half a century. As it has done with all its models, Land Rover instilled the Discovery Sport with a compelling combination of off-road capability and on-road dynamics. Interior packaging and safety innovations make the new model an ideal family vehicle, while extensive use of intelligent lightweight materials and an efficient powertrain reduce fuel costs and environmental impact.
- Land Rover Terrain Response® maximizes the capability of the Discovery Sport in challenging conditions. Controlled through an intuitive interface on the centre console, Terrain Response® is designed to precisely tailor the vehicle’s steering, throttle response, gearbox, centre-coupling and braking and stability systems to the demands of the terrain. Terrain Response® features four settings: General; Grass/Gravel/Snow (for slippery conditions on- and off-road); Mud and Ruts, and Sand2 as well as an optional Dynamic Mode. Terrain Response® is backed up by a suite of technologies that support off-road and slippery-condition driving. These include:
- Hill Descent Control® (HDC) maintains a set speed while negotiating steep inclines off-road
- Gradient Release Control® (GRC) progressively releases the brakes when moving away on an incline for maximum control
- Roll Stability Control (RSC) designed to detect the onset of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) corrects oversteer and understeer by reducing engine torque and/or applying brakes to individual wheels
- Electronic Traction Control (ETC) reduces torque and/or applies a braking force to individual wheels to prevent wheelspin
- Engine Drag Torque Control (EDC) helps to prevent lock-up under heavy engine braking in slippery conditions by increasing engine torque to the affected wheels
Read ForceGT’s Land Rover Discovery Sport Review here.
|TD4 SE M||$53,300|
|TD4 SE A||$55,800|
|SD4 SE M||$56,500|
|SD4 SE A||$59,000|
|TD4 HSE M||$57,900|
|TD4 HSE A||$60,400|
|SI4 SE A||$59,000|
|SD4 HSE M||$61,100|
|SD4 HSE A||$63,600|
|SD4 HSE Luxury M||$66,500|
|SD4 HSE Luxury A||$69,000|